Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Martin Malia 1/5th york and lancs

orm1

Hi anyone know where the 1/5th york & Lancs where on 15th May 1915, My 3xGt uncle Martin Malia 1727 died on that date, I have got his service records from ancestry library edition and an obituary from the Rotherham Advertiser it mentions his captain S. Rhodes would this help finding his company?

Any help would be great.

His brother Leading Seamen James Malia is mentioned elsewhere on this site he won a C G M at Galipoli.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum orm1,

not much but I can tell you that the battalion was carrying out tours in Section 5 trenches in the Fleurbaix sector.

Jon

Hi anyone know where the 1/5th york & Lancs where on 15th May 1915, My 3xGt uncle Martin Malia 1727 died on that date, I have got his service records from ancestry library edition and an obituary from the Rotherham Advertiser it mentions his captain S. Rhodes would this help finding his company?

Any help would be great.

His brother Leading Seamen James Malia is mentioned elsewhere on this site he won a C G M at Galipoli.

Thanks

Hope this helps,

Tim.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

His CWGC certificate.

• 5 years later...

orm1 - There is a facebook site " Rotherham I remember when " which has a piece from Roth Adv concerning the presentation of medals in Apr 1916 to Malia's brother James.

10952861_846573178742579_265057519559441

College Square, Rotherham April 1916 : A civic reception is held for local heroes Leading Seaman James Malia (stood right of the Mayor) and Signaller Clements.The guard of honour is provided by the Heavy Battery of the Royal Garrison Artillery,which was raised locally in 1915.
Malia had been awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal,and Signaller Clements the Distinguished Conduct Medal.

Private Cyril Clements 2446 enlisted 6 Oct 1914 to 1/5th battn York & Lancs , served in France June 1915 to Feb 1916. Lived at 163 Eastwood Lane Rotherham at enlistment . DCM citation - " For conspicuous devotion to duty when at great personal risk he sent a warning message to HQ before putting on his helmet and remaining in front line trench alone all morning" He survived the war and died aged 85. He was only 17 when he enlisted but claimed to be 19.

Leading Seaman James Malia conspicuous gallantry medal citation - " On 25 Apr 1915 during the Gallipoli landings Sub Lt Tisdall heard wounded men on the beach calling for assistance. Together with James Malia , William Perring and James Parkinson he jumped into the sea and they pushed a small boat in front of them to rescue the wounded men under heavy fire from the Turks. " Tisdall was awarded the Victoria Cross but was killed on 6 May 1915 . Malia , Perring and Parkinson were awarded the CGM . James brother Martin Malia of 1/5th battn York & Lancs was killed in action on 15 May 1915 aged 20 in France near Fleurbaix. He had only been in France since 20 Apr 1915.

5th-Y-and-L-York-457322.jpg

Captain Rhodes is seated 1st on right of 2nd row from front. Officers of 1/5th battn York & Lancs Apr 1915 at York prior to embarking south for France.