Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PRIVATE 1ST CLASS, ROYAL AIR FORCE

alf mcm

I am researching William Edward Hughes Peden. He died on 08/08/1918, and his rank is given, on CWGC, as Private 1st Class. Is this rank correct? Were more junior servicemen known as Privates, or Privates, 2nd Class?

Regards,

Alf McM

His army record (for his time in the RFC) is a standard army search. His RAF service record should be in AIR 79/627; these are not online, but you can request it using the shop oline facility. As for the rank, its one of those that the RAF introduced after their formation.

Alf

Early RAF ranks included grades of Private, so your man was Pte Class I W E H Peden (67992) of the RAF Recruits Depot.

Regards

Gareth

• 5 years later...

Hello, I am also researching William Edward Hughes Peden and his brother John Clarkson Peden (35127) as these servicemen were great uncles of mine that I know very little of. This is great information and so pleased to have found your site. If anyone has any further information i would love to hear it. Many thanks.

A.Baxter

" I thought the ranks would be aircraftsman or air mechanic 1st/2nd class. I have seen MICS with private but not with 1st/2nd/ class (but Im sure someone will come along and say OH YES there is)"

Just a minor correction - it's aircraftman (no 's').

"His RAF service record should be in AIR 79/627; these are not online"

Yes they are online, but through Findmypast, not National Archives.

Errol