Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Division Composition

bobshaw

Can any one answer the following: looking at the composition of the 23rd Division 4th Army, under Pioneer Battalion it is shown 23rd Divisional Train RASC.

What is this Train? was it a normal railway train and used to transport the troops or was it the Ambulance Train and would it have been permantely attached to the Division.

Any help welcome.

Bob.

Bob,

A train in this context is an organisational unit. Per the LLT page for 23rd division, it consisted of 190, 191, 192 and 193 Companies of the ASC.

One of my current projects: British Military Structure (Great War - L-to-R Format - Work in Progress).pdf (application/pdf Object) shows a generalised structure for a Divisional Train ASC. On this diagram you will also see the RAMC "Ambulance Trains" - which were also units of organisation.

HTH

David

Hello Bob

Nothing whatever to do with railways!

A Divisional Train was a unit of four horse-transport companies ASC which carried the baggage and brought up the supplies of the fighting units. One company did this for each of the three infantry brigades, and the fourth for the divisional troops. The Div Train formed a permanent part of the division.

Supplies landed at the base ports were taken as far forward as possible by rail, having been broken up from bulk supply into divisional "sets" of trucks carrying a day's supplies, at places called regulating stations. They were then transferred to motor transport units called divisional supply columns, of company size, and then taken forward as far as good roads permitted to refilling points, where they handed over the supplies to the divisional trains.

To move a whole division from a base port or a rest area to the front took about forty complete railway trains.

Ron

Hello Bob

Nothing whatever to do with railways!

A Divisional Train was a unit of four horse-transport companies ASC which carried the baggage and brought up the supplies of the fighting units. One company did this for each of the three infantry brigades, and the fourth for the divisional troops. The Div Train formed a permanent part of the division.

Supplies landed at the base ports were taken as far forward as possible by rail, having been broken up from bulk supply into divisional "sets" of trucks carrying a day's supplies, at places called regulating stations. They were then transferred to motor transport units called divisional supply columns, of company size, and then taken forward as far as good roads permitted to refilling points, where they handed over the supplies to the divisional trains.

To move a whole division from a base port or a rest area to the front took about forty complete railway trains.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thank you for clarifying and explaining what is ment by "Divisional Train", it makes sense now. I though at first it might be something to do with Ambulance Trains, which is any area I am stuck on.

Regards...........Bob

looking at the composition of the 23rd Division 4th Army, under Pioneer Battalion it is shown 23rd Divisional Train RASC

Bob, I'd choose more reliable sources if I were you!