Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boots and Puttees?

eyes

Good day all

This is most likely an old topic and long since dealt with but (as my Search Function seems to be taking a semi permanent break) what is the significance of an RFA member wearing either puttees or knee high boots? An indication of task, rank, or what? Thanks in advance.

Colin

Typically, everyone wore puttees - the ranks, nco's, officers etc, to keep mud, stones etc out of the boots (although some, such as motorcycle despatch riders, usually wore leather gaiters up to the knee)

Both the 1915 patt. field boot (with the 3-button cuff at the top) and the 1917 patt. boot (with a single strap and buckle at the top) were widely worn by every and any mounted unit. Some RFA would have worn them, some would have worn boots and puttees. There is probably no significance to it - it just depends what they could have got hold of and what they preferred.

Regards,

W.

I have numerous photo postcards of RFA soldiers involved in activities; riding, posing in groups, working etc and they tend to show at least some of them wearing puttees.

When mounted and not in any form of ceremonial dress they appear to be wearing either puttees or a form of riding trousers with a very close lower leg similar to jodphurs I suppose.

When dismounted I expect that puttees would have been worn.

I can put up some photographs if required.

Cheers

Mike Tomkinson

Bradford

Well here are a couple. I can add a couple of RFA Gunners mounted if that helps.

Cheers

Mike Tomkinson

Bradford

post-43296-1236264042.jpg

post-43296-1236264063.jpg

My Grandparents' wedding picture:

th_Gaskins.jpg

and another taken in 1917:

th_HMEGaskinc1918.jpg

Keith