Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. Harold Entwisle

Angular

I have a photo of this man outside a tent in the flattish desert. From the medal cards his number appears to be 38925; does anyone have any idea which battalion he could have been in (of the 6 possibilities I found on the Long Long Trail)? Don't know how he ended up in a north Wales regiment, when he was a Darwen lad through and through. Never the most martial of men, even in the photo he looks like he was so far back, he had to send his laundry forward.

your looking at the wrong guy try this one

Name: ENTWISLE, HAROLD

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery

Unit Text: 212th Siege Bty.

Date of Death: 08/06/1917

Service No: 102647

Additional information: Husband of Catherine Entwisle, of 13, Springfield St., Darwen, Lancs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 9.

Cemetery: BULLY-GRENAY COMMUNAL CEMETERY, BRITISH EXTENSION

regards Dave

Just looked on ancestry and his service records are available , if you dont have access pm me your email and ill send them on to you ,

regards Dave

your looking at the wrong guy try this one

Name: ENTWISLE, HAROLD

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery

Unit Text: 212th Siege Bty.

Date of Death: 08/06/1917

Service No: 102647

Additional information: Husband of Catherine Entwisle, of 13, Springfield St., Darwen, Lancs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 9.

Cemetery: BULLY-GRENAY COMMUNAL CEMETERY, BRITISH EXTENSION

regards Dave

Sorry but no, the photo has his capbadge on it, and he lived, unmarried, till the early 1980's. He gave my mother away when she married my father in 1962. Thanks anyway.

Angular

212 SB landed in France on 6 December 1916. There was no hit on a War Diary when I searched this morning. They seem to be allocated to Army level rather than Corps/Division.

You might get to find them by PM-ing the one or two Arty experts here (Ororkep springs to mind).

Sotonmate

Can't be deduced with certainty just from the service number for this number series, the best option is to check the medal rolls from his Medal Index card. That said I have a medal pair to 38850 B Wood, 2nd Garrison Battalion, that was in Egypt. But the roll would tell you for certain.

Kind regards,

Lars

Can't be deduced with certainty just from the service number for this number series, the best option is to check the medal rolls from his Medal Index card. That said I have a medal pair to 38850 B Wood, 2nd Garrison Battalion, that was in Egypt. But the roll would tell you for certain.

Kind regards,

Lars

Unfortunately the medal card doesn't give a battalion. The only clue is that he didn't get the 1914-15 star, which indicates that he joined up late or was conscripted (hence him ending up in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, I suppose).

Unfortunately the medal card doesn't give a battalion. The only clue is that he didn't get the 1914-15 star, which indicates that he joined up late or was conscripted (hence him ending up in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, I suppose).

Normally the medal card does not give a battalion, but the reference number that is written next to him being issued the British War & Victory Medals is a reference to the medal roll itself. For the RWF I have found that this roll gives the battalion/battalions served with. My man Wood was on page 5056 of the J/2/102B16 roll, Enwistle is on page 5063 in the same roll. Unfortunately I only have one single page, but it should be easily looked up at the National Archives.

Regards,

Lars