Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

USA Food Trust Query

GlencoraPalliser

Hi,

Has anyone read anything about a "food trust" specifically written as that, in relating to Herbert Hoover's Food administration during WWI? I ran across a stray reference, but I cannot find any other (more reputable) sources. I've found a lot in general regarding Hoover's administration, but not that specific term.

Related to that, is the term "food trust" perhaps used in WWII?

Any help (including specific sources) would be greatly appreciated!

(edit: oops, sorry, maybe this should have gone under chit-chat).

Hi Sophie

I recently borrowed a copy of Helen McPhail's 'The Long Silence' which you may find of interest. The book is available online here

Jon

Hi,

Has anyone read anything about a "food trust" specifically written as that, in relating to Herbert Hoover's Food administration during WWI? I ran across a stray reference, but I cannot find any other (more reputable) sources. I've found a lot in general regarding Hoover's administration, but not that specific term.

Related to that, is the term "food trust" perhaps used in WWII?

Any help (including specific sources) would be greatly appreciated!

(edit: oops, sorry, maybe this should have gone under chit-chat).

I am not familiar with the specific reference "food trust" although I will look it up - but I happened to be watching some American WWI newsreels today and there was a short section on Hoover taking over the food administration (whilst Wilson was President) and the drives for meat free and wheat free days etc. I will have a look for you and see what I can find.

Chris

Edit - thinking on this a bit more - I wonder if this is a reference to the LEVER ACT (Food Control Act of August 1917)

When Wilson selected Hoover to run the food administration he (Hoover) was in Belgium coordinating US relief efforts to Belguim so there may also be a element there.

There is a good section on Food in Robert Ferrell's Woodrow Wilson and WWI 1917-1921 (a section IIRC called Money and Food)

another good general reference for things like this would be David Kennedy's "Over Here: The First World War and American Society"

There is also a section on Food in Meirion and Susie Harries "The Last Days of Innocence: America at War 1917-18"

having said all this - I do not recall any specific mention of Food Trust as a term.

Edited by 4thGordons

Click here for a description of the U.S. Food Administration, a wartime agency of the federal government that existed from 1917 until 1920 and was headed by Herbert Hoover. My admittedly superficial internet searches indicate that the term "food trust" referred to the five major meatpacking corporations that dominated the industry in the U.S. during the war. The Life of Herbert Hoover: Master of Emergencies, 1917-1918 by George H. Nash, W.W. Norton, 1983, the third volume in a biography of the man, is what I looked at and would be a good source to check. It is available online via Google Books--to access it I believe one must have a Google account, which is free, and because the book is still in copyright status Google will probably limit the number of page views in it to around 15 or 20.

Thank you so much for all your suggestions so far -- I will have to take a look later today. I do have the Kennedy and the Last Days of Innocence already, but have not had a chance to read all of the latter yet.