Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Horse Artillery Medal Rolls

owen4256

Before I start the long trek to Kew, could anyone tell me whether the Royal Horse Artillery medal rolls for the Brtish War and Victory medals record battery details? The original reference for the roll from the MIC is RHA 105/BT and the service numbers are 622524 and 622525.

Any help much appreciated

Clive

Can't answer your question about the RHA medal rolls but 622524 and 622525 indicate service with the Essex RHA which served during the Great War as B Battery, 264 Brigade, RFA.

Clive,

I think you will find quite a lot of Essex RHA men in RHA 105/B (T.F.). It should have been taken from the Nominal Roll of Officers & R+F entitled to BW & V Medals forwarded by the OC in about 1921. I know that a lot of those who served in Somerset RHA are in medal roll RHA/104 B (T.F.) from p.730 to 801 in service number order. Therefore a trip to Kew may not reveal anything more than the Essex RHA Nominal Roll which you can get from the MIC index anyway and searching for numbers 622***.

Hi Clive,

Ernest and Sidney Ablewhite both look to have been Gunners in the Essex RHA.

Unfortunately, due to the current gaping holes in the Ancestry MICs i cannot tell you their medal entitlements; although the next 10 men in the number run received BWM & Victory pairs.

David

All

Thank you for the help. They both have Essex RHA numbers . They were from a draft of the Essex yeomanry posted to 10th Reserve Brigade RHA c February 1918. Not clear what the connection is between 10th Reserve Bde and Essex RHA and still trying to find which battery/brigade they finally served overseas with. 298th would be the obvious one but others in the draft of 30 or so with sequential numbers were in P battery, L Battery, 15 Bde RFA and 255 Bde RFA.

Clive

Not clear what the connection is between 10th Reserve Bde and Essex RHA and still trying to find which battery/brigade they finally served overseas with. 298th would be the obvious one but others in the draft of 30 or so with sequential numbers were in P battery, L Battery, 15 Bde RFA and 255 Bde RFA.

There is a similar connection between 8th Reserve Bde RHA and Shropshire/Somerset RHA. L Battery was in 8th Reserve Bde and P battery was in 10th Reserve Bde. They seem to be the pool of reserves that supplied the RHA and a man went back there if he was fit enough. According to The Long, Long Trail the depots were at Bulford and Woolwich

Clive

I've looked at this roll which is WO329/35 from memory when I checked out entitlement of your two men. I think it shows Essex RHA (T) but doesn't give a Battery number - which I'm sure I would have noted if it had been present.

Best wishes

Ian

Ian

Thanks for the confirmation about the lack of battery detail on the roll. I suspect that means I have got as far as I am going to get on the detail of their service in 1918.

(As a footnote on Runnacles, the marriage index in 1911 has him as Percy A A so it does seem he had a third forename.)

Best Regards

Clive