Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI Medal qualification requirements

NigelS

From a page on "WW1 Military Medals" in the latest "Your Ancestry" (ancestry.co.uK) magazine which landed on my doorstep this morning:

1914-18 war medal

Awarded when: Awarded in World war 1 1914-18

Awarded for: Personnel who served in uniform or in an approved organisation anywhere in the world between 1914 and 1918

Other Information: Over six million of these medals were awarded, this included support staff such as medical and transport personnel. Each recipient's details are around the rim

Victory Medal

Awarded when: WW1 1916-1919

Awarded for: Service in any theatre of wars after January 1 1916

Other Information: From 1916, Governments of all the allied countries decided to issue this standardised medal and Rainbow. The rear features a laurel wreath inscribed with the The Great War for Civilisation and the recipient's details are on the Rim.

1914-15 Star

Awarded when: awarded in World war 1 from 1914-1915

Awarded for: service anywhere in the World before 31 December 1915

Other Information: The 1914-15 scroll across the front marks this medal, the recipient's name, number and units are on the rear. Those with just 'Aug 1914 Nov' are the much rarer 1914 star, for personnel who were in France or Belgium from 4 August to 22nd November 1914

I certainly don't consider myself to be an expert on the qualification requirements for these medals, but IMO quite a bit of mis-information here; the two uses of "anywhere in the World" certainly doesn't help.

The Victoria Cross is also covered....

NigelS

The errors of fact sort of flow in and out of each other here - but to all intents and purposes there are ten. Ten errors in three paragraphs, - and all of them could have been avoided by the most superfical "research".

On the one hand I feel sorry for the people who subscribe to that kind of publication - but there is a more "sinister" aspect - I confidently predict that within a week certain staff at a certain well known institution (no names no pack-drill) will be quoting that publication as a matter of fact.

Dont believe me ? - Try this for example - a recently heard "gem" >

Did he get a silver war badge ? - yes - oh you should look in WO364 then; men who didnt get one are in WO363

Really.

Anyway - do I now take it that a YMCA man who turned up in India in 1915 was given a 14-15 Star and BWM ?, - should I now start scrubbing out paragraphs in my copy of Purves' guide - or just bite the bullet and send off a subscription to this Ansestory bunch (whatever theyre called) ?

regards - bemused of Surrey

The same brochure also charts the military service of William Hackett VC and the first paragraph gives:

"One of the many tragedies of World War II was the bombing of the War Office in 1940 which led to the loss of most service records for officers, and many for those of ordinary soldiers who had served in World War one..."

I've never had cause to investigate officer records but I understand - from what I've read here and elsewhere - that most of these have survived ?

I haven't read any further yet , and I'm not sure that I have the will to do so!

NigelS

"One of the many tragedies of World War II was the bombing of the War Office in 1940 which led to the loss of most service records for officers, and many for those of ordinary soldiers who had served in World War one..."

NigelS

Nigel - did you find that magazine on a train or did you actually part with money for it ?

Anyway - officers records - once more they are talking through an orifice which was never intended for speech, - though they are partially correct in that the WW1 period Officer's commission cards are recorded as being destroyed during the Arnside St fire of 8th Sept 1940 - as were the Officer's confidential reports (I've always wondered at the "convenience" of that) and various other odds & sods ................................ The Black & Tans records - Chaplain's files (though again there is material at TNA for a lot of the Chaplains) - Labour Corps Company Lists ............... etc etc etc - even bronze memorial plaques and certificates appear in the lists of things destroyed.

Their core statement that the officer's files were destroyed is tripe though - check TNA classes WO374 and WO339.

regards - Tom

Nigel - did you find that magazine on a train or did you actually part with money for it ?

Other than indirectly as I have an Ancestry sub, certainly didn't part with cash for it B) . The covering letter gives: "We want to show our appreciation to you as one of our most valuable members, and so I am delighted to enclose the latest edition...." which probably says it all.

A case of thanks for nothing, perhaps! However, they do ask for feedback on www.ancestry.co.uk/magazine. Think I might do this suggesting that they use experts who really know their subject to write their articles in future!

NigelS

... or just bite the bullet and send off a subscription to this Ansestory bunch (whatever theyre called) ?

regards - bemused of Surrey

Use Ancestry toaccess the Documents you need but ignore their attempts to be all things to all people {I seem to recall someone else tried that recently...} Stick to Purves & Taffrail for your Medals & entitlement requisites Ancestry for the physical confirmation... <_<