Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Robert Hunter 1/7th Scottish Rifles & RFC / RAF

eltoro1960

Hi folks looking for any information relating to this man, who is my friends great uncle. I have a print out of his MIC from my friend but (surprise,surprise) it isn't on Ancesty , which is a pity as I had hoped there might have been information on his transfer on the back of the card. Can anyone shed any light?

Any information appreciated. John

Open to correction but I don't think TNA have the backs of the MIC's in the download.

John

Hi folks I have a printout of the pdf downloaded from TNA, unfortunately as John points out you only get the front of them from TNA and this yet another that hasn't been scanned by Ancestry.

John

From 7th Bn War Diary

16th December, 1916

Wire received “Wireless report enemy aircraft over GERERAT flying East”.

The A.A. Section made such good shooting at this aeroplane that it did not manage to make a reconnaissance of MAZAR.

2/LT R L. HUNTER 4th attached 1/7th Bn. The Cameronians proceeded to ROMANI to relieve 2/LT A.E. BIRD in the 156 Bde Company of the 52nd Division Base Depot Battalion. The Company is commanded by LIEUT J. AUSTIN of this Battn.

2nd August, 1917

2ND LT R.HUNTER rejoined from Details, and posted to 'A' Coy for duty. Extract from Bn Orders of this date. - Following messages received (1) To-LT COL ROMANES From - 52nd Div General Staff "Many congrats on last nights patrol affairs".

(2) To - 3rd Bairns. From - Bairns. Following from GENERAL SMITH begins - "Please congratulate COL ROMANES and his men for me, on gallant conduct and able handling of the patrols from this regiment last night: - ends. Patrol reports attached

Think that might be your man, John, not sure if that helps or not though.

Regards

Barrie

Barrie

Thanks for that, this is indeed him. My friend has his great uncle Lt Hunter's Arabic book in the house, it appears that he could speak some of the lingo, which would be a great asset. Seemingly there are photos of him in Cameronian and RFC uniforms. I will see if I can get a hold of them.

John

Even the backs of the MICs do not give dates for transfer. Often officers did not transfer to the RFC, they were attached.

There is on 2nd Lt R F Hunter mentioned in 'The sky their battlefield', when he is mentioned as in regard to a Bristol F2b of 62 Sqdn, being wounded on 27 Sept 1918. The plane itself is not identified. He was the observer in the plane. Another plane from the sqdn was shot down that morning at about 0920, around Douai.

I dont know if this is your man, but if it is, 62 Sqdn records may help.

regards

Adam

Thanks for the replies folks, I think that he is RF rather RL Hunter, the diary entry tends to tie in with his MIC and family history.

post-12171-1235834121.jpg

Great photo, John, thanks for posting it. The diary I quoted is from the transcribed copy, so it is possible there is the odd transcription error, although generally our plucky volunteers who do the fabulous work for us are very, very thorough.

All the best

Barrie

Thanks again for all the helpful answers, I will pass them on to my mate , at this stage we won't rule in/out R L or R F Hunter. The answer as they say is out there, or at Kew to be more precise.

John