The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pill Box Hats

Swally

Hi Guys,

I am trying to date the picture in my avatar, this is my granda in RHA / RFA sometime in the early 1900s, you will notice he is sporting a "Pill Box" type hat. I reckon the photo is as late as 1906 - 7

I know that he wasn't in the army in 1909 as he married my gran, any idea when they discontinued this natty type of headgear.

ta,

Swally

Hi Swally, any chance you could load the picture up so we can get a closer look. Someone might be able to narrow the date down a bit for you and I'd be interested to see the uniform as my ancestors were pre-war RA/RHA men.

Justin

Hi Swally, any chance you could load the picture up so we can get a closer look. Someone might be able to narrow the date down a bit for you and I'd be interested to see the uniform as my ancestors were pre-war RA/RHA men.

Justin

I am really struggling to attatch a picture for what ever reason but I have posted it previously

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...c=55458&hl=

see what you think

Swally

Swally,

I forgot to say that the Artillery were issued with a Broderick cap in 1902. It was dark blue with a red semicircle running up the front (straight edge on the bottom). Not long after its introduction the RA started wearing the gun cap badge on this type of cap. In 1904 a khaki drab cover was issued. A year later (1905) the Broderick, which was universally disliked, was removed from use. It was replaced with a peaked cap.

The soldier in the photos does not look like Royal Horse Artillery. Unlike the cavalry, which at one point adopted a longer tunic for walking out, the RHA kept their high-waisted Hussar-type tunic for full dress (Review Order) and the high-waisted stable jacket for Drill order.

Aye

Tom McC

Swally,

I have a photograph of my Grandfather taken in1905 at esquimalt, Vancouver where he was stationed with the RGA. The Garrison gunners ( Brits) are wearing the Broderick cap with RA Cap Badge. A Sgt Army Ordnance corps is wearing SD peaked cap. However most of the soldiers wearing khaki are wearing Pill Box hats. I have always assumed that they were locally enlisted Canadian Militia. At aguess I would say the Pill boxes had a yellow or light coloured band. Sadly

I am unable to upload the photo, that skill may come in time and the purchase of scanner.

Tony P