Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW, what are contents please

Hustler

I find that I can subscribe to Soldiers who Died in the Great War on Findmypast.com but can anyone tell me please the likely contents of SDGW ?

I have done a search for this but couldn't find the answer.

Thanks very much

John

Name number regiment, when deceased, killed died of wounds or died (disease for example). Where residing and where enlisted. MAy also have previous service details and any gallantry medals awarded.

Name number regiment, when deceased, killed died of wounds or died (disease for example). Where residing and where enlisted. MAy also have previous service details and any gallantry medals awarded.

Brilliant, thank you.

Post a question and get a reply 2 minutes later.

Impressive or what.

This is copy of SDGW entry from N&MP disk and from Ancestry, no idea what entry fron Findmypast looks like.

As you can see the ancestry one is very poor.

Mick

Go for a two week trial with Ancestry (but make sure you cancel in plenty of time) and you can see the sdgw (along with MIC and soldiers records etc) for yourself.

This is what it looks like on Findmypast.

post-16303-1235670852.jpg

The main drawback of FMP for me is the very limited search function. You can only enter one or several of the following: first name, middle name, last name, birthplace and residence.

And the list of hits shows only name, birthplace and residence.

The ability to enter the regiment, rank, date of death or service number, as you can on Ancestry, would cut out a lot of fruitless searches!

Adrian

Thanks for all the replies people, most appreciated.

I'd better do a bit more research before I plump for anything as ideally I'd like to be able to use the same software for family history as well.

But plenty for me to consider here, thank you again.