Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

C Class WW1 Subs photo in Gatum Lock Panama?

midgemeg

A member of my local philatelic group displayed a photo titled C Class subs in Gatum Locks. He took the photo whilst visiting the museum at the locks. Can anyone suggest what they were doing there? The only thing I can think is that they were the subs scrapped in China in 1919.

Fairhaven

Fairhaven,

Simple answer: They were of examples of the U.S. Navy’s C class of submarines. Conway's notes that the five boats of this class were assigned to operate out of Panama during World War I.

Best wishes,

Michael

Fairhaven,

Simple answer: They were of examples of the U.S. Navy’s C class of submarines. Conway's notes that the five boats of this class were assigned to operate out of Panama during World War I.

Best wishes,

Michael

Very many thanks for your answer. The problem is answered. I knew very little about U.S. Navy subs. I shall tell my friend.

Andrew

Fairhaven,

Best wishes,

Michael

Very many thanks for your answer. The problem is answered. I knew very little about U.S. Navy subs. I shall tell my friend.

Andrew