Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Smith added to Roll of Honour

spoons

Pte James Smith of Bolton is to have his name added to the Roll of Honour. James was one of those pardoned in 2006. This has recently become a permitted topic on the forum.

Name: SMITH, JAMES

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Unit Text: 17th Bn.

Date of Death: 05/09/1917

Service No: 52929

Additional information: Son of James William and Elizabeth Smith, of 52, Noble St., Bolton.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: M. 25.

Cemetery: KEMMEL CHATEAU MILITARY CEMETERY

BBC news article

I am well aware of strongly held views. I make this post to record the facts without comment by myself and without inviting comments from others on whether names should or should not be added to memorials in these circumstances.

\Spoons

Thanks for the comment John but I'm afraid I don't know how to close a thread and I don't think that is necessary. I was not trying to stifle all comment but merely to avoid repetition of the heated debate I have seen previously on whether names should or should not be added to memorials - especially in these circumstances as that was not the intention of this thread. If anyone wants to restart that discussion, they can start their own thread of course.

I passed on this information (about the impending addition) to UKNIWM but it appears that the Roll of Honour mentioned is not listed by them so if any pal has any knowledge of this memorial, especially its current location, perhaps they could let us know where it is?

\Spoons

I was not trying to stifle all comment

In that case, I'll add the observation that this case meets the criteria I have in mind for any name to be now added to a memorial - firstly that a descendent wishes it and, secondly, thet the owner of the memorial agrees.

I think one would also want to correct the BBC's article that the men were all excluded from civic memorials. Simply not the case.

John

I think one would also want to correct the BBC's article that the men were all excluded from civic memorials. Simply not the case.

John

UKNIWM have already picked up on that following my mail and have informed the BBC accordingly

\Spoons

I have been involved from the beginning of this campaign with Charles Sandbach who is related to the late 'Jimmy' Smith to have James's name added to the Bolton Roll of Honour book. Charles arranged a meeting with local MP Dr.Brian Iddon who has been right behind us from the beginning. We are very pleased that Jimmy's name will now be rightly added for future generations to see and later this year a ceremony will be held in his memory.

If anyone wishes to read any articles on James Smith please visit the Bolton News web site and search under James Smith.

Regards,

Bill