Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liverpool's, but which battalion?

foggy19

Hi All,

I am trying to find out which battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment the following men served with? Any help or information would be very much appreciated.

Sergeant 14695 J. Byron.

Private 73567 Charles H. Brigstock.

Private 40499 W.G. Drapier.

Acting Sgt. 75359 George Jones.

Thanks in advance for any help with this enquiry.

Bamboo.

Hi Bamboo.

I don't know which Bn. I had a look at the MIC's of 3 of them. Were they friends? They seem to have gone from Labour corp to the Kings. I presume if you find the Bn of 1 of them, the rest would be in the same Bn?

Maybe worth asking someone to have a look at the actual medal rolls. Or request a Bn diary look up, someone may have a diary that mentions one of them.

Try posting in the ' Look up photo and document request' section, someone will maybe find your answer.

Cheers Mike.

The 23rd (Works) Battalion of the King’s (Liverpool) Regiment formed in May 1916 as a Works Battalion, but it was transferred to the Labour Corps as the 1st (Labour) Battalion, Labour Corps on 28th April 1917.

The numbers for Brigstock and Jones are consistent with numbers assigned to the 23rd Bn in early 1917. Neither man has a “Date of Entry” recorded on their MIC, but Byron has 24th July 1915

Byron’s number looks like it could have come from one of the regular or territorial battalions. Perhaps he was transferred to be part of the original establishment of the 23rd.

All highly speculative, but the best I can offer :D

This may cloud the water even more, my Great Uncle s/n 22104 was embodied on 26 January 1915 into 16 Supply Company 3/6 or 3/5 (Territorial) Kings Liverpool Regiment. I believe they were based in Bootle Liverpool. He (16 Supply Company) was sent to the Kings Docks Swansea and was still there 1 year later.

The reference to 3/5 or 3/6 is taken from documents on Ancestry that refer to him. The documents even mention 2/5 Supernumery Company.

Regards,

Norman

Norman

3/5th & 3/6th Bns. were formed in Liverpool in May 1915, so it's interesting to see your comment that he was embodied to them in January 1915 - could that have been 1916?

On 1st September 1916 they became 5th (absorbing 3/5th and 3/6th) and 7th (absorbing 3/7th, 8th and 9th) Reserve Bns in West Lancs Reserve Brigade.

Hi Gents,

I have placed a request for help with Rolls and War diaries in the appropriate section on the forum. The four men are linked in some way during their service, how exactly, I am not sure?

Many thanks for your input so far.

Bamboo.

Dear Stephen,

That explains a lot. The images are very poor with water and burn damage but I have checked them again and his attestation shows 2/5th Bn. So on the 26 January 1915 he was embodied into the 16th Supply Company 2/5th KLR. He died on 2 October 1915 and letters to/from units and various H.Q.s are dated 14 November 1915 3/6 th Bn and 23 December 1915 3/5th Bn.

Regards,

Norman