Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What do these abbreviations mean

gnr.ktrha

Hello

Can anyone tell me anything about the following abbreviations, they relate to places he was posted-

A.C.W,

S.M.A,

T.D.S,

T.S

and what looks like L.F.S {which was at Oxford}.

Also was also sent to a School which looks like 'Art & Obs Coop School' is this Artillery and Observation Cooperation School?

This all related to Lt Townsend of No.4 section

Many thanks,~

Stewart

Stewart

I can help with some of them:

SMA = School of Military Aeronautics

TDS = Training Depot Station

TS = Training Squadron.

ACW might be Army Cooperation Wing.

Cheers

Gareth

Stewart,

I have found 2 meanings for ACW. Air Component Wing or Airfield Construction Wing (Possibly after WW1) so I would go for the former. If your query was prior to 1st April,1918 then they would have no need to co operate with the Army. They were the Army.

Tony

Hello Tony,

thank you for that advice. Lt Townsend served from about October 1917- 1919. He seems to have also served in WW2, but probably more admin based. I know he retired due to ill health, as a Sqdn Leader, mid WW2

Here is a link to a little thread about him.

I am still trying to find my feet here, I am more used to researching members of the Army.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Stewart

If your query was prior to 1st April,1918 then they would have no need to co operate with the Army. They were the Army.

The RFC was a branch of the Army, but nevertheless used the term 'Army' to describe the function of some wings. An RFC Brigade (allocated to a BEF Army) was divided into a Corps Wing, which was concerned with reconnaissance, artillery observation and infantry co-operation, and an Army Wing, which included fighters and medium bombers. In short, a Corps Wing was chiefly concerned with local matters, while an Army Wing dealt with more strategic affairs.

Gareth

Hello Gareth,

Thanks for clearing that up. Would it be worth posting parts of his service history here, so that you can see the entries for yourselves?

Many thanks,

Stewart

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. Here is Picture 1 of his service papers. Hope you can make something of them.

Many thanks,

Stewart

post-3488-1236513832.jpg

Here is Picture 2,

Please let me know what you think or what you can see. RAF papers are something new to me, so I am a bit lost.

Many thanks,

Stewart

post-3488-1236514175.jpg

Stewart

7 Gp = No 7 (Training) Group - HQ at Salisbury

37 TDS = No 37 Training Depot Station at Gosport

RE 8 Pilots Flt = RE 8 Pilots' Flight (a unit for training on the RE 8 two-seat observation aeroplane)

SWA = South Western Area - HQ at Salisbury

SWAFIS = South Western Area Flying Instructors' School at Gosport

I hope that this helps you

Gareth

Hello Gareth,

That's great ;) Anything else that you can see? It's a pitty it does not state when he joined No4 Sqdn.

regards,

stewart

Stewart

After another look:

CFS = Central Flying School

Art & Inf Co Sch = School of Artillery and Infantry Co-operation.

No 4 Sqn was an RE 8 unit based at Ste-Marie-Cappel in October 1918.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

Hello Gareth,

That is great. Thanks for taking the time to look again. For your info he gets a mention in Trevor Henshaw's "The Sky Their Battlefield" when on the 1st October 1918 he flew on a counter attack patrol (with 2Lt R W Lane as his observer) in RE8 No: C2564. His aircraft came under attack by anti-aircraft guns and was damaged, the engine seizing. He was forced to land.

Can you tell me where to take my research from here? Are there Sqdr. War Diaries?

Many thanks,

Stewart

Stewart

I can only think of the RAF Museum and/or the UK National Archives for further enquiries - there certainly would have been a War Diary. I don't know of a history of the squadron in the Great War that's presently available (or even one that's not available). The RFC/RAF Corps squadrons have never had the coverage of their counterparts in the Army Wings. Perhaps the current No 4 Sqn RAF might be of some assistance.

Good luck

Gareth

Thanks for all of your help, Gareth. It has been of great help. I think I will try the RAF museum at Hendon to see if they have anything

Regards,

Stewart