Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

use of trawlers

Guest olgadp

My great grandfather was a skipper in the RNR in WW1. I would like to know what he actually did or indeed if he did anything. I have a medal in the shape of a 4 point star with crossed swords and the years 1914-1915 on it and WSA 860 J W Wright SKR RNR on the back and a copy of an admiralty document dated Jan 1915 appointing him as a skipper in the RNR. Does anyone know how I can find out which ship he was on and what it did. My father says he would have been on a minesweeper but we have no evidence of this. I would be very grateful for any help.

olgadp

His RNR service record card, including ships served in, is available from two sources:

The original cards are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum. E-mail to order a a copy.

NA have microfiche copies of the originals and can also provide (generally inferior) copies via their website.

Neither is available on-line

Welcome to the forum,

Trawlers were used as part of the Auxiliary Patrol; they fulfilled a variety of tasks of which mine sweeping was a huge part. As skipper he commanded the ships that he was on. The medal that you have is the 1914-15 Star; he would also have qualified for two other medals: the British War and Victory Medals.

Royal Naval Reserve records are stored in service number order. Pals can do a look up/ copy for them from the UK National Archives or you can request a copy from their shop online facility. The Fleet Air Arm Museum has very limited research facilities, their current information is below:

http://www.fleetairarm.com/pages/research/

olgadp

You GG was skipper of the Hired Drifter ETHNEE, date of seniority 14.1.15

She was a North Shields Drifter, Port Reg. SN 227, built 1913 of 86TG. Admiralty No. 754.

Requisitioned in 1915 and used as a net barrier tender based in Dover.

On 15.1.18 she was wrecked on the Goodwin Sands near Fork Light. No casualties.

Regards John

The Fleet Air Arm Museum has very limited research facilities, their current information is below:

http://www.fleetairarm.com/pages/research/

Per is correct to point this out. However, although formal, in-depth research facilities at the FAAM are suspended as described, there is still a service to copy personnel records for those who do not require more effort.

• 7 years later...
Guest Autolycus

olgadg, I hope you are still on this forum. I have been given a picture of the crew of H.M.D. Ethnee. I assume that your relation is the captain. Would you like to have it? Autolycus.

Autolycus  the OP last visited in 2009, but a PM might reach him.

Keith

And if an idiot may tag on a related question as he doesn't know the answer- what is the situation re ships' logs for ammed trawlers?   I have a local casualty, Lt-Cdr Walter Hawthorn, RNR, lost with HMAT Columbia on 1st May 1915. I would like to know more about his war service from September 1914 but am drawing a blank-even though he received 2 letters of commendation from Their Lordships.

wightspirit- Dave-Thanks for the references-which I have chased. I think there is more buried away about him in the records at Kew-but mastering the method of record keeping by Their Lordships is a life's work in itself.

If you search on his name on this Forum, you may find it of interest.