Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rafa (Rafah) Egypt 1917

pfam09

Some time ago I was given some 100+ negatives taken in and around Rafa (Rafah), Port Said area from 1916 to 1919. Photographer unknown. A lot of them are "tourist shots" scenery, buildings etc, but a few show prisioners,damaged buildings and equipment marked "REMP" and also soldiers in uniform. Can anyone tell me what "REMP" stand for? Also can anyone recognise the uniforms, rank marking etc in the attached photo? I know very little about them. They came in an old negative album, with a few details written in pencil and not easy to read. One of the other ones has, what I think says, "Maj Wyncoll on horse".

If you would like to have a look at some of the other shots they are on my flickr site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pfam09/

Under WW1 Middle East collection. Any help identifying the regiment etc would be appreciated.

many thanks from New Zealand

post-44073-1235556713.jpg

ww031

This is the Western (or Wailing) Wall in the old city of Jerusalem.

ww065

I've seen a similar shot before and I am fairly certain that this is a Norman (?) door arch of the crusader church which was later incorporated into the mosque at Gaza

ww108

This is also from Jerusalem; it is the entrance to (what is known as) the Tomb of the Kings

Thanks for sharing the pictures

Michael

One of the other ones has, what I think says, "Maj Wyncoll on horse".

Have a look at this pdf document - http://remuseum.org.uk/unit_history/46company_RE.pdf

It refers to 46 Company, Royal Engineers

and shows them in Egypt from 1916 till they were disbanded in May 1921

It also shows that their commanding officer from July 1916 to February 1918 was Major C. E. F. Wyncoll

Per the London Gazette he was promoted to Major on 20th September 1917

He was later an acting Lt.-Col. (1st Dec 1918), awarded the MC and the Order of the Nile, 3rd Class

The Order of Battle for the Egyptian Expeditionary Force 1917-1918 shows under

Lines of Communication Units (Controlled by General Headquarters)

Engineers; 46th Base Park Company, RE

Can anyone tell me what "REMP" stand for?

REMP - the first two letters may well be initials for 'Royal Engineers' but I have no idea what the MP part is

regards

Michael

REAP = Royal Engineers Advanced Park

REPP = Royal Engineers Pontoon Park

REFP = Royal Engineers Field Park

REBP = Royal Engineers Base Park

So I'd guess its Royal Engineers ? Park - Motor, Mechanics, Mining?

Thanks heaps for all that info, its really appreciated.

As for the REMP, by looking at other photos I would think it perhaps "Motor Park" as there looks to be a workshop, and a truck there also.

I will post some more of the photos on flickr, next week if anyone is interested.

Again many thanks for your help, its great to be part of a group of helpful and knowledgeable people.

I will post some more of the photos on flickr, next week if anyone is interested.

Yes, very interested

Please oblige and let us have know here when you have them posted

regards

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

pfamnz

Just to confirm that my guess in post No.2 above was correct

ww065 is the Great Mosque at Gaza - a similar photograph of this crusader doorway appears in 'The Desert Mounted Corps in Palestine & Syria 1917-1918' by Lt-Col the Hon R M P Preston DSO, first pub. c.1920, but recently reissued by the N & M press

By the way, nearly all of the damage to the mosque was done by the retreating Turks who blew up their ammunition dump which had been inside the building; see page 125 of the above book

Have you made any progress with the other photographs yet?

best regards

Michael

• 1 month later...

I have added a few more photos to the Flickr site. Most of the others are views around the area, locals, shipping, damaged buildings which I do not think you will be interested in

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pfam09/

Thanks again for the help

REMP= Royal engineers Motor Pool?

There are trucks in one shot, what looks like water pumps etc with REMP on the side