Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private William Bradshaw

Tinhat47

I finally decided to jump into research of a Great War soldier. I bought a British Victory Medal online that seemed to be calling my name ... I was the only bidder, strangely enough. When I saw the soldier it was named to had the service number of 47047 (47 being my favorite number), I knew it was meant to be.

Anyways, He's Private William BRADSHAW of the West Yorkshire Regiment, number 47047. I've checked the CWGC and he wasn't a casualty, and I've checked for his MIC on the British National Archives, although it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. However, it appears that if you pay for the service you can get more information? My basic-level U.S. Ancestry account won't let me view any international records. Is there any chance one of you fine folks with UK accounts could pull up his MIC or anything else useful, say maybe a recommendation for West Yorks research?

Matt

More a piece of negative information that anything but William does not appear to have served with the 2/6th Battalion of the West Yorkshire Regiment.

That leaves a number of others notably the 1/6th and the 2 Bradford Pals Battalions or the Leeds Pals etc.

Someone was offering a look up on the 1/6th elsewhere on the forum so it may be worth contacting him?

It would be useful to be able to find him on the 1911 census but you do not have much to go on and a fairly common name to trace so it could prove expensive.

I am sure others here can help.

Cheers

Mike Tomkinson

Bradford

I know ... I was hoping his battalion would have been mentioned on the MIC ... dang that thing is hard to read!

Hmmm ... I've found him on the Leeds absent voters list.

Thanks!

Can you make out what it says in the "Remarks" box?

It looks to me like something like "Cal. 3"

hmmmm, perhaps a cl. then an old fashioned z - you know the sort which looks a bit ike a figure three but with a long loop like a g on the bottom????

bradshaw william 47047 pte w yorks 5967lw

Which is really where this started. However, if he lived in Leeds then you may be able to rule out the Bradford Battalions and start with the Leeds ones so you have the 7th and 8th Leeds Rifles and the 15th Leeds Pals.

Probably not that simple but it narrows down the search a bit.

Cheers

Mike Tomkinson

Bradford

My money would be on 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th Battalion, and if i did bet i would put me money on 10th Batt, it's just the way the number's pan out re the reinforcements to various Battalions.

Ca Ira

Regards as always Kevin