Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

searching soldier

soupy green

I found a family postcard recently which refers to a Corporal Percy Green who it says was mobilising to France in 1914. There is an address for my grandad to write to his brother and the regiment appears to be the 1st south herts mounted brigade but having searched for this regiment on the web I'm none the wiser. Any help on the regiment or Percy Green would be appreciated.

soupy

Soupy

It sounds like a Yeomanry unit. There is a (South) East Mounted Brigade but not a South Herts.

Which county was he from?

Regards

Mel

This one fits the bill and was also awarded a MM or DCM:

Medal card of Green, Percy

Corps Regiment No Rank

Essex Yeomanry 853 Private

Essex Yeomanry 80087 Corporal

Are any bells ringing?

Orange

I will go with that - 1/1st East Mounted Brigade of the 1st Mounted Division

1/1st Eastern Mounted Brigade. (Served with the division 12 Aug 1914 - Oct 1915 when it went to Gallipoli).

1/1st Bedfordshire Yeomanry. 12 Aug 1914 - Jun 1915. Left the Brigade and went to France where it joined the 9th Cavalry Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division.

1/1st Essex Yeomanry. 12 Aug 1914 - Oct 1915. To Gallipoli.

1/1st Hertfordshire Yeomanry. 12 Aug 1914 - Sep 1914. Left the Brigade and went to Egypt where it joined the Yeomanry Mounted Brigade.

1/1st Norfolk Yeomanry. 12 Aug 1914 - Oct 1915. To Gallipoli.

1/1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry. 12 Aug 1914 - Oct 1914. To the 8th Division.

1/1st Suffolk Yeomanry. 12 Aug 1914 - Nov 1914. Left the division and went to France here it joined the 8th Cavalry Brigade, 3rd Cavalry Division.

1/1st Welsh Horse Yeomanry. Feb 1915 - Oct 1915. To Gallipoli.

2nd King Edward's Horse. Dec 1914 - 01 Feb 1915. To the Canadian Cavalry Brigade.

What is the date of entry on the MIC?

Regards

Mel

LLT contradicts warpath.orbat:

1/1st Essex Yeomanry

August 1914 : in Colchester. Part of the Eastern Mounted Brigade in Mounted Division.

November 1914 : left the Brigade and moved independently to France, where it joined the 8th Cavalry Brigade in 3rd Cavalry Division.

March 1918 : a plan to convert the Regiment to a Cyclist unit was dropped in favour of making it into a machine-gun battalion, together with troops from the Bedfordshire Yeomanry. However within days this plan was also dropped and the regiment remounted and joined the 1st Cavalry Division.

April 1918 : Regiment split up, with one Squadron going to each other Regiment of the 1st Cavalry Division.

The date of entry on the MIC of 30/11/14 fits the latter.

Soupy

Thanks Mel I have asked someone else to look at the card and they think it is Lance Corporal Percy Green and possibly could be 1st South West or Western Mounted Brigade. Sorry to send everyone off in possibly the wrong direction. The card was sent in Somerset and my father's family come from there if that is any help.

regards soupy

It sounds like a Yeomanry unit. There is a (South) East Mounted Brigade but not a South Herts.

Which county was he from?

Regards

Mel

Soupy

There is the West Somerset and North Somerset Yeomanry which all becomes a bit messy with the different lines and conversions.

Your man may only have a MIC for a regiment such as the Somerset Light Infantry.

Do you have any further information?

Regards

Mel

Mel,

I did a search on the web and it states that there was a 1st South Western Mounted Brigade based in Salisbury at the start of the war, I'm afraid other than this the only information I have is the address for Percy on the postcard.

regards Soupy

Soupy

There is the West Somerset and North Somerset Yeomanry which all becomes a bit messy with the different lines and conversions.

Your man may only have a MIC for a regiment such as the Somerset Light Infantry.

Do you have any further information?

Regards

Mel

Soupy

The Salisbury address would place him with the 1/1st North Somerset Yeomanry but there is no MIC to support him having gone with that unit to France in November 1914 or at any time.

He may not have taken the Imperial Service Obligation or some other reason prevented him from going.

He could have then been bumped into the 2/1st or even the 3/1st NSY.

2/1st North Somerset Yeomanry

The 2/1st was formed in September 1914, and remained in the United Kingdom , until early 1918 when moved to Ireland and converted into a cyclist unit in July 1918.

3/1st North Somerset Yeomanry

The 3/1st was formed in 1915 and remained in United Kingdom until absorbed into 6th Reserve Cavalary Regiment in early 1917

If he stayed with the 2/1st then he would have no MIC - all service UK based. If he went to the 3/1st then he could have ended up in any unit under the sun in 1917 or 1918.

Regards

Mel

Soupy

These are the pre-war localities of the HQ and Squadrons for the 1/st North Somerset Yeomanry:

Headquarters - Bath

A Squadron - Bath

B Squadron - Weston-Super-Mare

C Squadron - Shepton Mallet

D Squadron - Bristol

Do these fit with your family history?

Regards

Mel