Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified Photo

EastLancs

Please find blow exerts from an unidentified photo that has come down in the family album without any notes. Could any of you cast any light upon it?

WW1_a.JPG

This is a close up from a group of 7 all equally young men who are leaning against a bay window in winter from the look of the folliage on the creeper against the wall.

I have the full print in a file but for some reason it says that I am not able to load it Grrrrrrrr..... so please find another cut from it.

WW1_2a.JPG

Both of these have cap badges but the other 5 haven't. I can send the full photo to anyone who thinks they can load it or want to see it.

Attached image(s)

Many thanks P.B. That makes sense as the family came from Lancs. Any idea wht only 2 out of the 7 should have cap badges? The rest are all fully uniformed.

Many thanks Joseph,

They certainly seemed to have enough territorial batallions so you could well be right. I am trying to load the whole picture as I am sure their full uniforms may help dating it.

Many thanks to Havrincourt's for his assistance in loading the full photo :

post-43943-1235652775.jpg

I can't but help notice two different styles of collar and buttons, I don't know whther this is significant? Has the soldier on the window ledge a single stripe?

It appears to have been common for new territorials to have their pictures taken outside their first billets.

I am attaching a photgraph of very young looking territorials of the 3/6 Kings Liverpools in Fleetwood in May 1916.

As can be seen they are outside some terrace houses and on the wall to the left of the left had soldier has been chalked" 3/6 KLR 5 men " ( similar but 4 men chalked on the right hand wall )

I have another very very similar picture but the battalion is the 3/7 KLR even the chalked sign is in a similar format.

The lack of cap badges is probably because there had not been enough available to issue them to everyone.

Hope this is of some interest

P.B.

post-63-1235659049.jpg

Many thanks for your kind reply. Your response was of great interest as was the photo!

I wonder whether they were a section / squad, given the number of men and the fact that one seems to be wearing corporal's stripes?