Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

24th Field Ambulance

david west

Dear Terry,

Fascinating how pieces of the puzzle surface bit by bit!

I've been trying to locate the address  "Dunheved" Milton Lane, Wells Somerset.

Found zipcode BA5 2QS but did not find the name "Dunheved".

Found address  22 Milton Lane Wells Somerset BA5 2QS.

Used Google Maps to recce Milton Lane at Wells but was unable to identify a house with a number 22.

Given all the greenery, i wonder whether Slocombe's house wasn't destroyed.

Do you have any clue?

With kindest regards,

Andre

35 minutes ago, aldlb57 said:

Dear Terry,

Used Google Maps to recce Milton Lane at Wells but was unable to identify a house with a number 22.

Do you have any clue?

With kindest regards,

Andre

Andre, it's probably me that you are replying to :) 

Click here  and I think no.22 is on the right (can't quite read the sign on the gate-post) but it looks newer than the 30s. Unless the gates lead up between the pale house on the left and the brown house to another house behind the copper beech? I put the address without the post (zip) code into Google Maps.

Regards

seaJane

PS Or maybe it is hidden by the hedge.

Edited by seaJane

4 hours ago, aldlb57 said:

Dear Terry,

Do you have any clue?

With kindest regards,

Andre

Andre

Assuming it is the same person on the inscription, it might be worth contacting the local newspapers to see if they will publish an article about your quest just in case there are still relatives in the area.  Both of these are registered at the same address:

The Central Somerset Gazette

The Wells Journal

Southover, Wells, Somerset, BA5 1UH.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

IRVING OSWALD FULLER, originally 7th Btn later 1st Battalion Sherwood Foresters, joined the 1st Battalion on 17th June 1918 and served with "A" company, to Hospital on the 1st August 1918 and returned on the 12th August 1918. Returned back home to England as a coalminer dated 26th December 1918. BRONNO.

rh.jpg

Hi Andre,

I don't think that it has already been said, and please excuse me if you already know. There were detailed 'hospital' records (including those of Field Ambulances) that recorded things such as the names of men, when they were admitted/discharged, the nature of their ailment, etc, but post war only a minority representative sample was kept - the rest are believed to have been lost/destroyed many years ago. The records that do survive are in the MH 106 record series held at the National Archives. Those records are currently being transcribed (but haven't been completed yet) by a commercial organisation, Forces War Records, which I understand you have already searched

For the men that you are interested in who served with the Berkshire Regiment, it might  be worth contacting the regimental museum to see if they can help.

Looking at your first man - "Cyrn or Cyril Slocombe". From the medal rolls 45198 Slocombe only appears to have served overseas with the 2nd Battalion Berkshire Regiment. My guess would be that he is Richard Cyril Slocombe, and that he also appears as 45198 Richard Cyril Stocombe, enlisted 9.9.1916, discharged 4.6.1919 from the Royal Berkshire Regiment due to 'sickness', aged 21, in another record.

The war diary for 2 Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment is available to download (£3.45) from here, but is unlikely to specifically mention any of the men by name.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Andre

Now your information pipeline is really warming up !

I have traced Maxwell MALLETT as far as I can but can leave you with a good link which seems to be the current and live family tree source:

http://mallettfamilyhistory.org/tng/suggest.php

Maxwell died in around 1974 leaving no children so your link may be able to show if there are other descendants of 2 brothers (half brothers) you can contact.His stepmother Rosa died in Street,Somerset in 1958 and left a will so there may be a link there too.

Edited by sotonmate

1911 census: Maxwell Mallett, born 1900, from Butleigh, Somerset. I sent a message to the person in who's family tree Maxwell mallett is situated.

Dear Bronno,

Is that a photograph of Irving oswald Fuller?

How did you find it?

Looks like some kind of miracle.

With kindest regards,
Andre

Sotonmate, many thanks!

Will explore lead.

Andre

Dear Terry,

Great idea to get in touch with the newspapers you mentioned.

With kindest regards,

Andre

Dear seaJane,

Terry came up with Slocombe's address first but given your reaction, I guess I was responding to you both.

Not putting in the postal code was a good idea.

I agree that it is difficult to have a clear view.

With kindest regards,
Andre

8 hours ago, aldlb57 said:

Dear Bronno,

Is that a photograph of Irving oswald Fuller?

How did you find it?

Looks like some kind of miracle.

With kindest regards,
Andre

Andre, yes this is the image of Fuller, I contacted the Archivist at the Sherwood Foresters Museum who gave me permission to post it on this Forum. Regards, BRONNO. 

There was a post from Timbo of Forces War records (or perhap I had a PM) that said they have completed the MH106 transcribing. I'm not 100% certain if it mirrors the list given on Scarlet Finders or if it's just some of those. Don't think they've done Millbank & Napsbury but could be wrong. Plenty of other material in MH 106 that one of the online companies will probably transcribe in the future.

As the dates for some of these men are late war they would still show in the WO Official Casualty list (depending on certain criteria) but The Genealogist has a cut of point of circa April 1918. Not finding them on The Genealogist doesn't tell you a lot.

I've checked; Stokes, Turner, Slocombe, Fuller & Mallett in case of any earlier injuries, no joy.

Richard Cyril Slocombe.

I have five hits for him on British Newspaper Archive 1930 - 1934.

1. Wells Journal - Friday 17 October 1930. Witness to loud cock-crowing nuisance Richard Cyril Slocombe 1 The Elms, a civil servant in the Tax Officer, Wells objected to the noise and smells.

2. Western Morning News - Thursday 08 June 1933. Mr & Mrs R Slocombe of Launceston were bereaved by the news of the death of their son Richard Cyril Slocombe, aged 34 of Wells.

3. Wells Journal - Friday 16 June 1933. Inquest, Gross Negligence against driver who killed Richard Cyril Slocombe who was riding his bicycle. Knocked off pedal cycle May 30th. Of Milton Road Wells, leaves a widow and one child.

4. Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser - Wednesday 31 January 1934. Claim for damages by widow of Richard Cyril Slocombe, Frances Irene Slocombe aged 36 and her 3 year old daughter. Mentions his war servive and an war period operation.

5. Shepton Mallet Journal - Friday 02 February 1934. £4,500 damages awarded to Frances Irene Slocombe and daughter Kathleen Irene Slocombe formerly of Wells. [Slocombes possibly living with relatives in Launceston].

A posssible for Maxwell (Thomas) Mallett. Western Daily Press - Thursday 03 July 1930. Accountant's Examinations - success, Maxwell Thomas Mallett, Glastonbury.

TEW

9 hours ago, aldlb57 said:

Terry came up with Slocombe's address first

So he did! Sorry both.

Dear tew,

Wonderful. I am piecing the lives of these chaps together, bit by bit.

As a matter of fact, the people over here cherish the etchings of these British servicemen as relics from the past.

Thanks to you, Sotonmate, Bronno and the other friends, they come to life.

Daughter Kathleen Irene Slocombe might still be alive.

Imagine her coming to Saint Amand and seeing her father's signature from 1918?

Gives me goosepimples, just to think of it.

How to find out whether she is alive or whether she had surviving children?

With kindest regards,
Andre

Kathleen Irene Slocombe born 1931.Wells, Somerset. England.

Only wedding I can find is a Kathleen Slocombe to a Raymond G Milford at Barnstaple, Devon,England in Quarter 4 of 1965. A look at the marriage licence would need to be made to confirm that she is the right lady !

I can find no births to these people. The possibility of them emigrating after their wedding cannot be checked where I am looking.

There is a Kathleen I Slocombe on FreeBMD https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl -

Marriages Dec 1970  

SLOCOMBE Kathleen I / RICHARDS Eric - Reading 6a 380  

sJ

She was still in Reading in 2005/09 - http://www.192.com/atoz/people/richards/kathleen/rg1/2539849502/

Edited by seaJane

There seemed to me to be too much overlapping records with the Barnstable Kathleen Slocombe and the Wells one, I think they are two different people.

I think seaJane is on the right track, no children from that marriage and no hits on Find a Will 2007 - present day.

Richard Cyril Slocombe also had at least two brothers, Albert emigrated to Canada.

1901 Census. Richard C Slocombe born Camelford.

TEW

Dear Seajane,

Kathleen I. Richards (born Slocombe) might still be alive. How could one find out?

Dis she and her husband have any children?

With kindest regards,

Andre

Looking at other brother "William D" is in fact William Owen SLOCOMBE born Camelford, Cornwall in 1898,aged 3 in the 1901 Census.

Married Dorothy M STENLAKE in Tavistock, Devon in 1st Quarter of 1928. Haven't yet found any children from that marriage, or William's death later, but worth a check just in case they didn't sail away somewhere to live.

Dear All,

I am not getting enywhere in my research concerning Kathleen I. Richards (born Slocombe) who married Eric Richards in 1970.

During research, i found a Miss K.I.Slocombe (born in 1930 too) who sailed for Wellington, New Zealand in 1952.

Howevern, there do not seem to be any New Zealand immigration archives to consult.

Please look at the outward passenger list.

With kindest regards,

Andre

K. I. Slocombe Departure New Zealand 1952.jpg

Dear all,

Breakthrough in the case of Irving Oswald Fuller.

While gathering information on ancestry.co.uk, I wanted to download a photograph which was part of someone's family tree.

I contacted this family member who gave me the list of children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Irving.

One great-grandchild is active on the website so I sent her a message.

Am keeping my fingers crossed.

If this works, we'll have the first descendants that can be invited to the centennial celebrations in France.

Please find photo of Irving and his wife Elsie. Could this be a wedding photo?

I also received his obituary.

With all my thanks for putting me on the right track!

Still 6 more soldiers to go.

Andre

Irving Fuller.jpg

IOFuller obit.jpg

On 10/03/2017 at 22:27, aldlb57 said:

Dear Seajane,

Kathleen I. Richards (born Slocombe) might still be alive. How could one find out?

Dis she and her husband have any children?

With kindest regards,

Andre

I think somebody else has already checked and found no children, André. 

Re: whether she is still alive, sources might be the local newspaper for obituaries, or the electoral roll (source of the 2005/09 reference above). I don't know if the General Register Office allows you to specify the birth year of a deceased person when enquiring for a death certificate; applying 'on spec' might be expensive...

Hi All

Looking for relatives of Richard Cyril Slocombe, his elder brother, Albert Lambert Slocombe, born 2.1.1896, Camelford, emigrated to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA on 26.7.1911.. He became a naturalised citizen and applied for a passport , 28.6.1923. At that time his father Richard was living in Launceston, Devon. The reason for the passport request was to visit relatives in UK. Therefore relatives may well be in Devon, as identified by TEW in post 40.. Albert was married on 22.1.1922 to Sarah Lily  ?? illegible born 18.5.1893 Milwaukee. He remarried in 1973....still looking for any children. Photo of Albert on passport application.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

As far as the New Zealand 'K I Slocombe' is concerned; Please read the PS at the bottom.

Last Home Address is Burnham-on-Sea.

She is only 22 and could be married or single. If married then she did so between 1948 and 1952. I can't find another birth for a K I Slocombe born circa 1930 other than Richard's daughter.

There is a marriage of a Kathleen S Southcombe to Donald Slocombe in Bridgwater 1950. This may be the K I Slocombe who went to New Zealand and her middle initial is wrong on the passenger list? No sign of Donald going to New Zealand and there is a death recorded for a Kathleen Sarah Slocombe in Sedgemoor in 1982.

Archway Archives for New Zealand have a Wellington probate record for a Kathleen Slocombe who died 1971 and her Laboratory Notebooks are with Archway as well.

Wells, Bridgwater, Burnham-on-Sea, Sedgemoor are all in the same small area and there are other Kathleens marrying Mr Slocombes in EG Weston-super-Mare.

All in all it's a little complex, difficult to say with 100% certainty that the New Zealand K I Slocombe is a red-herring but where's her birth registered? There are 3 Kathleen I somethings born in Somerset in 1930 including Richard's daughter.

However, if the K I Slocombe who went to Wellington has a probate record then she can be discounted from the centennial celebrations.

You could enquire about the probate record, anyone can view it for free in Wellington or order it but they say Pricing information is not available for this item.

Whitepages has Kathleen I Richards in Reading up to 2009 but with Eric Richards as a former resident and The Browns as possible current residents.

You could phone the GRO and for £9.25 they would check death entries 2009 to present day. I think we have her exact birth date so with the name and date of birth they could make a match if one exists. I think it'd still cost £9.25 for them to say 'No, there is no entry'

TEW

PS, Just seen on Familysearch.org that the K I Slocombe's full name who went to Wellington was Kathleen Irene Slocombe.

This seems ot make it more likley that the Kathleenn I Richards from Reading is a red-herring.