Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th royal irish rifles east belfast

linfieldfc

would anyone know were i would get info on the 8th batt RIR east belfast 36th Ulster Division (ie) list of the men who died in the 1st World War. Its to form part of a project im doing with young people of the area.

Someone with the right technology - i.e. Soldiers Died in Great War disk - will be able to give you the full listing of KIAs from the Btn.

If you can't get that on forum, hit your local reference library who should have a copy of the disk to work from.

Also check here

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancest...lly/rohpci.html

scroll down to Belfast Presbytery.

Also cross reference with Ulster Covenant online ... in depth you need to check the old papers of the period.

Plus I would see if you can get some publicity in the community newsheets, church magazines etc. Also try a few searches and posts on the various Belfast forums.

Des

Here are a few casualties associated with 8th Btn from my home town - you can find more about these men and pictures of mosts of them on my Ballymena site below.

LA PLUS DOUVE FARM CEMETERY - Comines-Warneton, Hainaut

McCANN, Second Lieutenant, B J, 18th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles. 14th November 1916. Age 22. Son of Hugh and Ellen McCann, of Galyorm Rd., Ballymena, Co. Antrim. IV. A. 5. (attached 8th Rifles)

POND FARM CEMETERY - Heuvelland, West-Vlaanderen

LOGAN, Rifleman, JOSEPH, 17/786. 8th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles. 5th April 1917. Age 20. Son of James and Mary Logan, of Station Rd., Cullybackey, Co. Antrim. M. 16.

TYNE COT CEMETERY - Zonnebeke, West-Vlaanderen

REA, Lance Corporal, J, 3/8834. 8th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles. 6th August 1917. Age 20. Son of Matthew and Hannah Rea, of Drumcrow, Carnalbanaagh, Ballymena, Co. Antrim. LIX. E. 43.

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL - Somme

McFALL, Rifleman, DANIEL, 626. 8th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles. 2nd July 1916. Age 28. Husband of Matilda McFall, of William Street Square, Ballymena, Co. Antrim. Pier and Face 15 A and 15 B

BALLYCLARE NEW CEMETERY - County Antrim

McNEILLY, Rifleman, THOMAS, 380. "C" Coy. 18th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles. 24th January 1919. Age 23. Son of William and Elizabeth McNeilly, of Braetown, Glenwherry, Co. Antrim. 113. 70.

John:

I am interested in your project, so I hope you don't mind if I poke my nose in here so I can be kept up-to-date and follow this thread.

My Grandfather Josiah Alexander Chancellor Kennedy (JACK) was with the 8th Service Battalion (East Belfast) Royal Irish Rifles (R.I.R.) during part of the Great War. Initially from Belfast, he had emigrated to Canada and so he went back first to serve in the Canadian Expeditionary Force with the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (P.P.C.L.I.). After being wounded at Ypres in 1915 he went left the CEF and transferred to the British Army to take an Officer's position. He became a 2nd Lieutenant in the 8th R.I.R. on October 25, 1916.

That information is on his web site under the Royal Irish Rifles tab. The papers that are there also list the other officers of the 8th R.I.R.

The 8th Service Battalion was disbanded in early February 1918 and Grandfather Kennedy was transferred to the 12th Service Battalion, R.I.R. He was with that unit near Artemps and Saint Simon when he was taken POW on March 21, 1918. It was only this week, as a result of a post on the GWF that I went to find details on his location and to apply to the ICRC for more details. That information will be added to his POW page, perhaps today while it is still fresh in my mind. The war diary details are on his R.I.R. page already.

JACK's brothers William and James had not emigrated to Canada, they stayed and served with the R.I.R. as well. Both were killed, James on the same day that Jack was captured. James was also with the 8th Service Battalion R.I.R. but apparently attached to the 1st Bn. R.I.R. at the time of his death. William was with the 14th Bn. when he was killed in June 1917. The details of the two brothers is provided on Grandfather Kennedy's web site under the Kennedy Brothers in the Royal Irish Rifles. I note that the CWGC still lists James primary unit as the 8th Royal Irish Rifles, so he may show up on your list of KIA.

Good luck with your project, please let us know of your results.

Richard of Canada

Edited by laughton
Update very old links.

would anyone know were i would get info on the 8th batt RIR east belfast 36th Ulster Division (ie) list of the men who died in the 1st World War. Its to form part of a project im doing with young people of the area.

300 MEN in the ranks died +12 officers.. From SDGW.

contact me if you need more information.

Wesley Wright

Info on some of those officers and men ( a few anyway) can be found in Steven Moore's irish on the Somme book - readily available in Belfast.

Des

John - a few of the old boys of Inst who I've researched were in the 8th RIR. As well as James Kennedy, as mentioned by Richard above, they are Major G E MacColl, 2nd Lt R M Pettigrew and 2nd Lt T G Moore

If you're interested, you can get write-ups on them, and photos, at my website - details in my signature

Alan

try to get the booklet about the willowfield memorial in East Belfast.....some great photos and write ups.

Were would i get the booklet ?

John - a few of the old boys of Inst who I've researched were in the 8th RIR. As well as James Kennedy, as mentioned by Richard above, they are Major G E MacColl, 2nd Lt R M Pettigrew and 2nd Lt T G Moore

If you're interested, you can get write-ups on them, and photos, at my website - details in my signature

Alan

Very intresting stuff many thanks to all cheers john

you should be able to get a copy of the Irish Rifles who died in the 1st World in the Irish Rifles Meseum in Warings St Belfast