Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshire Regiment

A Powell

Hi everyone,

I've promised to help a friend search for details on her relative who served with the South Staffs Regiment. I've found his service records but they are very hard to read and incomplete.

I know he enlisted at Darlaston 25/5/15 and came from Walsall being posted to the 3rd Reserve Btn until 9/5/16 when he was posted to France with the 1st or it could be 1/5th or 1/6th Btn (I can't read the entry very well). I know he was wounded (GSW) on the 31/8/16 could this information help tell me which Btn.

Thank you.

Adrian

Adrian,

if you post his name and number I, or someone else, might be able to help.

Best regards,

Stuart

Hi everyone,

This is very kind of all of you to offer to help and his Granddaughter was so pleased with the information I found for her and your offer of help. The family wasn't able to obtain much information prior about Arthur and this means so much to them. I've enclosed the information on Arthur that was printed in the local newspaper.

Arthur Middleton

84 Regent Street ,Walsall ,Staffordshire

3rd Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment

Born 23-1-1891

Regt number 19098

He was wounded in France (bullet in the hand) on 31-8-1916

Had been on the reserve list for 5 years previous to the war

He died in 1926

I have told his granddaughter he would have served in the TA or regular Army prior to 1914 because he was in the reserves (5 years previous) I hope I'm on the right track with this. I'm aware the 3rd Btn was reserve and remained in the UK .

The service records are on A...try but in very poor condition and I just can't work out if it's the 1st Btn or 1/5th. Thanks Chris for that information on the 1st Btn because I knew they were involved in heavy action that matched the date of his wounds. I've no idea on the other Btn whereabouts.

Looking forward to your replys and many thanks for your help.

Adrian

Adrian

I have his medal roll entry, in order he was in reserve then 1/5th Btn, 1st Btn and ended in the 7th Btn. If you PM me an email address I will email you a copy.

1/5th was the the Territorial Battalion covering Walsall.

Regards Doug.

Hi Adrian, I take it that the information which you mention from the newspaper refers to the Walsall Observer of 30-9-1916 when his photograph appeared. Can I suggest that you also search the index for another local newspaper, the Walsall Pioneer which can be found on the shelves at the Walsall Local History Centre.

There is another entry in the Walsall Observer dated 7-10-1916 for F. Middleton of Regent Street who was in hospital. He was probably a brother of Arthurs and therefore of interest to your friend. Good luck with your research. Sue S

Adrian

I have sent you the info.

Regards Doug.

• 3 years later...

hello everyone,im new on here.what a site !!! my great grandfather was called harry bills,he joined up at the age of 37 from being a foundry worker,ive managed to see some of his records on ancestry.co.uk,however,the handwriting is awful and some unintelligable. it states he was in the 3rd btn sstaffs,but ive read they never went abroad,he however was wounded in france and i believe went to boulougne hospital in 1918. his regt number was 48966,however,ive found and cannot remember where,found same person with a different number. anyone help please ?? also,is there a south staffords society kind of thing where meetings take place ?]

thankyou.

I see that Harry was from Pensnett. I used to manage a factory there. Great people, once I learned the lingo (and I'm a Brummie).

His papers show that Harry was a conscript and that he was posted to B Company of the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion to begin his training. He does not appear to have left that unit to go overseas, before being moved to Clipstone camp in January 1919 and then discharged.

There is a medal index card to a man of the same name and same regiment, but much earlier in the war. He was discharged on medical grounds in May 1918 - have we got the wrong man when looking at the service record?

There is a Staffordshire Regimental Association - but also a South Staffordshire Pals group on this very forum.

but also a South Staffordshire Pals group on this very forum.

There is indeed - we meet at Wolverhampton on the 2nd Tuesday of each month (i.e. last night!)

Roy

• 4 months later...

Hi

I am after information on my Great Grandfather Frank William Alcock 2nd Btn South Staffords, 7135.

I am keen to know anything but in particular where he fought.

Reference the South Staffordshire Pals, i would be very keen to join, however I am in the Territorial Army in Wolverhampton, in a unit that descends from 1/6th South Staffords and therefore I can not attend the meetings. With regard to the meetings have you considered having them at the Territorial Army Centre in Wolverhampton. ? We have 3 bars, a number of lecture theatres and a meeting room available. We currently host 'old boys' association meetings and used to host the Chindits association. If you are interested please PM me and i will put you in touch with the Mess manager.

Regards Ben