Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Norwegian steamer Nidelven

Wrecktec

Hi Guys,

Just a long shot, but I’m looking for a photograph of the 1,262-ton Norwegian passenger/cargo steamer NIDELVEN, which was built and completed by Trondhjems Mekaniske Verksteder at Trondheim as Yard No.134 in November 1908.

She detonated a mine ands sank, 6-miles northeast of Coquet Island, on April 27th 1917; the mine having been laid the previous day by UC 29.

Any guidance where could acquire one would be very much appreciated ;)

Cheers Ron

Hi Ron

You may have tried this already, but if not, I can recommend the Norwegian Maritime Museum in Oslo (snail mail address Norsk Sjofartsmuseum, Bygdoynesveien 37, NO-0286 Oslo, Norway). It is highly likely they can help - indeed, they have supplied me with photos of every single Norwegian ship lost in WW1 in my part of the English Channel (east Dorset & Wight area). In addition, there are lots of small museums up and down the Norwegian coast and I've picked up some real gems from them too. It'll be a question of googling something like 'maritime museum trondheim' and something's bound to come up. If you have no luck with Norsk Sjofartsmueum send me a PM - there are one or two old contacts I have which might be able to help. I have to say that out of all the countries I have enquired with re ships photos, the Norwegians have by far the best collections of photos and survivors reports.

Dave

Hi Guys,

Just a long shot, but I’m looking for a photograph of the 1,262-ton Norwegian passenger/cargo steamer NIDELVEN, which was built and completed by Trondhjems Mekaniske Verksteder at Trondheim as Yard No.134 in November 1908.

She detonated a mine ands sank, 6-miles northeast of Coquet Island, on April 27th 1917; the mine having been laid the previous day by UC 29.

Any guidance where could acquire one would be very much appreciated ;)

Cheers Ron

Hi Ron,

I am assuming you have already tried the National Archives of Norway?

http://www.arkivverket.no/english/

If not...try e-mailing: 'riksarkivet@arkivverket.no'

I got good materials on Dicax from them. My other suggestion (Norwegian Maritime Museum) was already given by Dave.

Happy Hunting!

-Dan

Thank you very much Dave and Dan

Much apprecitiated, I'll give them all a go.

Cheers Ron