Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

royalty in world war one

Edward

George,

Thank you. It seems they handled it better in WW2 although I think that the rates were then much higher.

Ian

Ian,

The estate totalled £84-8 Shillings and tuppence.

Estate Duty plus interest coming to £1-18 and tenpence.

There were additions e.g.premium on Bond of Caution,stamping Bond of Caution,dues of Confirmation plus of course Solicitor's Business Charges. :D

It was a Scots estate.

George

• 4 weeks later...

This is from Voennie Letopis war notes

picture

166 Cpt prince M A Urases KIA

407 Coronet Prince G N Chuttsaka KIA

They also have pictures of a number of barons and Counts KIA and WIA # 71,109,119,152,197,358,549, and 1414

Also on 712 there is a picture of Countess E Ignitieff who dies while working on a hospital train as a nurse

The Romanov Prince who was KIA was Oleg his picture #125

There is also Prince v Dolgorukov and General Count I tatishchev they were part of the ex-Tsar Nicholas IIs entorage after he abdicated. They were both shot by the Cheka on 10 July 1918

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember correctly, under Salic law, all legitimate brothers 'share' titles so the German and Austro-Hungarian (and presumably some other states) totals of 'titled' 'aristocratic' and 'noble' deaths would be much greater than the British equivalents.The British totals would however presumably have to reflect 'subsidiary' titles...

Greg

Ian,

There were additions e.g.premium on Bond of Caution,stamping Bond of Caution,dues of Confirmation plus of course Solicitor's Business Charges. :D

It was a Scots estate.

George

He must have had other assets included in his estate for tax purposes as the threshold from August 1914 was £100. I'm guessing he died intestate as they required a bond of caution? Sorry, professional interest, this is what I do for a living.

And I'm sure the legal fees were entirely reasonable! :)

Ian,

It was a Scots estate.

George

George, a belated thanks for this

Ian

Something of an outsider but the illegitimate son of the Mexican emperor Maximillian was shot in WW1 by the French as a spy. It has been suggested that Maximillian may have been the illegitimate result of an clandestine affair by his mother with Napoleon II (then known as the Duke of Reichstadt). If so then the French were shooting the Emperor Napoleon's great grandson

• 4 months later...

I have the names of Russian princes who were killed in the WW I/RCW period:

A Prince Golstyn was killed during the Russian Civil war fighting the Reds

A Col or gen Prince Tomanov who was the assistant war minister to the Russian Provisional government was killed by Red sailors on & Nov 1917

A Capt (?) Prince Menschikov was killed after the revolution by the "Bolos"

• 3 months later...

Some more Russian princes killed:

Prince Viazemki killed 7 March 1917 in Petrograd by revolutionary soldiers

Prince bagration-mukhansky KIA Yaroslav Galicia 1915

Prince Artemi iskander KIA Russian civil war 1918 while in the White army

Prince Cherkassy, a naval officer KIA while serving in the White army during the Russian Civil war