Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St Vincent, Cape Verde Islands!

cockney tone

Pal's,

I recently visited St Vincent on the Cape Verde Islands and visited some Great War Graves, thought I would post a picture of them and the lady who cares for them. Should anybody want individual headstone shots let me know and i will post them.

Best wishes,

Scottie.

You may notice a damaged headstone that I have reported to the CWGC

Scottie.

post-6848-1235316334.jpg

Hi Scottie

What wonderful locations you choose to visit. Mauritius (IIRC) and St Vincent. How many WW1 graves are there? Look forward to more of your pics

Diane

Diane,

just returned to rather chilly 'Blighty' from a fantastic cruise that took in some wonderful places. Much to my wifes dismay i always try to seek out some CWGC wherever we travel!

There are six Great War and three second World War casualties, by a strange coincidence there is an AIF man there from your neck of the woods!

Staff Sergeant John Alfred Eric CRAWFORD, son of Mrs S M Cowen of 82 St Vincent Place, Melbourne, Victoria! D of D 16/9/16. Australian Army Medical Corp.

He does not have a standard CWGC gravestone;

Regards,

Scottie.

Close up of the inscription;

post-6848-1235323803.jpg

post-6848-1235323889.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, now I remember. Perhaps he will be the first Aussie I research after I finish my family ;)

Diane

Diane,

yes I know what you mean! :D if you do ever find anything out please let me know.

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Hi Scottie

His service record can be found using "View digital copy" at

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ItemDetail...mp;NS=Y&T=1

He was a pharmacist working as a dispenser with the AAMC on board HMAT Militiadis; He died of acute appendicitis and haemorrhaging, and was originally reported as "Buried at Sea" but later his file gives details of the burial at Cape Verde. Sadly, correspondence with family members indicate that his personal effects, which had been securely packed and despatched, managed to get mislayed enroute home.

I'm always very envious of Australia's WW1 service records and how easy it is to access to them (not to mention not having to pay :D .)

NigelS

Nigels,

this is really interesting stuff, thank you very much for posting it as it starts to answer a few questions. Unfortunatley the link you posted has expired and because of my lack of 'IT' skills I was unable to search the records.

thanks again,

Regards,

Scottie.

ShowImage.jpg

This explains the non standard head stone - any chance of a copy please

Chris

Hi Scottie sorry about the link try this one which should get you to a "Name Search"

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/NameSearch/Interfa...SearchForm.aspx

Failing that go to

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/explore/d...e/services.aspx

then select on the left hand side:

service records

then select on the left hand side:

Army world war1

Then scroll down to "Find and view a World War I service record online"

finally, read and use "Name search"

Hope this works, Good luck!

NigelS

Chris,

incredible stuff, thank you for posting this, if you pm me with your e-mail i will forward you a copy of the photo of the headstone.

Nigels,

managed to 'hack my way in', what a site, as you say its a site to envy!

Thanks again both of you,

Regards,

Scottie.

• 10 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello Scottie,

Thanks for your post. It's great to see a photo of the lady who tends these War Graves. 

My great Uncle Thomas Henderson (1899-1916), Levenwick, Shetland Service Number: 1189/L Royal Naval Reserve is at rest in CWGC section of the cemetery at Mindelo, Sao Vincente, in the Cape Verde Islands. Thomas Henderson, died aged 17 from acute tuberculosis and cardiac failure on 12 November 1916, on board H.M.S. OPHIR at Porto Grande Bay, São Vicente, Cape Verde. 

I would be grateful if you could send me a copy of the photo of his headstone.

Best wishes

John