Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yet another uniform ID please

tenlas

Pince-nez clamp onto the bridge of the nose, rather than having to be held in place (either with your hand or with ear pieces or similar). As such they require something to hold them there. Thus the clips. They are not the same as the nose pads on spectacles frames.

Allie

Pince-nez clamp onto the bridge of the nose, rather than having to be held in place (either with your hand or with ear pieces or similar). As such they require something to hold them there. Thus the clips. They are not the same as the nose pads on spectacles frames.

Allie

On my pair of pince nez they certainly have virtually identical nose pads/clips on the pair of glasses currently on my face as I type. Maybe they didn't become more popular until the post-war period on most glasses, but I can't believe they were simply used on pince nez alone for many years, and no bright spark thought they would be useful on ordinary glasses until the 1920's :ph34r:

Edit - just had a good look on the web/Ebay/etc, and although mostly seen on pince nez there are at least a few pairs of other glasses attributable to the late 19th/early 20th century with nose pieces/clips.

Some pince-nez nose clips may indeed be similar to those on spectacles. It's also possible that some bright spark did think of attaching nose pads to glasses before that time but it wasn't picked up by manufacturers. For example a professor at Oxford University attached nose pads to his lorgnette in the 1880s, which then became a popular style. This type of eyewear came to be known as 'Oxfords'. They did not have ear pieces.

Perhaps some more authoritative information has come to light on the subject since I was at varsity.

Allie

Come on Keith, Give us the names.

Alan

Hi Alan,

does this mean you might be able to find some info out for me? :rolleyes:

Edward Shepard and Amelia Martin were the names all I have at the moment is:-

They were married and had two children before Amelia was killed in June '43 along with her mum and dad by a bomb meant for Ipswich docks or industrial site. Edward was in poor health which might be because of time spent as POW in far east, as well as coming back and finding out what had happened.

I am hoping I might be able to find the children or their children to find out more.

Keith

Double-p in Sheppard. Is this her? I'd have never thought she was that young from the photograph...

Name: SHEPPARD, ALMEDIA ALICE LILIAN

Initials: A A L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Civilian War Dead

Date of Death: 02/06/1943

Additional information: of 42 Myrtle Road. Wife of L/Bdr. Edward Herbert Sheppard, R.A. between Myrtle Road and Unity Street.

Casualty Type: Civilian War Dead

Reporting Authority: IPSWICH, COUNTY BOROUGH

Edit And here are her Mum and Dad.

Name: MARTIN, SARAH ANN

Initials: S A

Additional information: of 42 Myrtle Road. Wife of Walter William Martin. between Myrtle Road and Unity Street.

Name: MARTIN, WALTER WILLIAM

Initials: W W

Additional information: of 42 Myrtle Road. Husband of Sarah Ann Martin. between Myrtle Road and Unity Sreet.

Their neighbour at No. 46 Myrtle Road also died that night.

Allie

Keith,

Allie has pointed you to the info on CWGC web, now you will have to track down Suffolk birth and marriage indexes. Try Suffolk family history sites. You should be able to come up with the marriage qurter. The children, he must have been quick if he went to Singapore, you will probably find in the birth's indexes. From there on ?

Alan

I was thinking more on info on Edward. I realise he is out of the time frame for this forum and I was going to have a look at a WW2 forum when there was more questions appeared on here. I thought after the info on the civillians the army one would follow quite quickly.

The children I have since found are connected to the wrong parents, I think they belong to her brother but as you say I can check that out locally.

thanks again to you all for your help.

Keith