Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Battalion Middlesex Regiment.

SPOOKER

I am looking for info on Lance Corporal Ernest Blamires for a relative,he was in 5th Battalion Middlesex Regiment.Any info and help greatly appreciated.He is thought not to have survived the war.

Thanks WIELTJE.

WIELTJE

There are no obvious hits in the MICs for an Ernest Blamires of the Middlesex Regiment nor any record on CWGC. However if he was in the 5th Middlesex as you suggest then it's a distinct possibilty that he had no overseas service as the 5th were a Reserve Battalion in the UK. Details from LLT......

5th and 6th (Reserve) Battalions

August 1914 : in Mill Hill. Depot/training units, they moved on mobilisation to Rochester (5th) and Gillingham (6th), latter going on to Chatham in November 1915 and 5th to same place in March 1916. In 1917 and 1918 the 5th Bn was at Chatham. Both were part of the Thames & Medway Garrison.

Regards

Steve

SDGW courtesy of Ancestry has this one however.....

Ernest Blamires

Birth Place: Brunteliffe, Yorks

Residence: Leeds, Yorks

Death Date: 25 Mar 1918

Enlistment Location: Dewbury, Yorks

Regiment: Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment)

Battalion: 23rd Battalion.

Number: G/10648

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

I don't know how accurate the Birthplace, Residence and Enlistment location are as I'm not sure if Ancestry have got their problem with transposition sorted....

Steve

An unusual name:

There is this man on SDGW.

Name: Ernest Blamires

Birth Place: Brunteliffe, Yorks

Residence: Dewsbury, Yorks

Death Date: 25 Mar 1918

Enlistment Location: Leeds, Yorks

Regiment: Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment)

Battalion: 23rd Battalion.

Number: G/10648

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theater of War: France & Flanders.

EdiT:

On CWGC as:

Name: BLAMIERS, ERNEST

Initials: E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Middlesex Regiment

Unit Text: 23rd Bn.

Date of Death: 25/03/1918

Service No: G/10648

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 7.

Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

I've assumed that SDGW still has a tranposition proplem!

Steve.

And his MIC, surname spelt Blamiers not Blamires.....

Thanks very much to you all ,a wrong spelling can change a lot.This will mean a lot to my relative.

Thanks again WIELTJE. :) .

• 10 months later...
Guest Toxicsquaddie
I am looking for info on Lance Corporal Ernest Blamires for a relative,he was in 5th Battalion Middlesex Regiment.Any info and help greatly appreciated.He is thought not to have survived the war.

Thanks WIELTJE.

Hi,

Ernest Blamiers was in 23rd Mdx (2nd football) and died near Arras on 25 March 1918, he is listed on Arras Memorial Bay No 7 and also on a plaque in St Denys Church in York. He was listed as missing presumed dead (MPD). The spelling confusion is understandable because on both his British War medal & Victory Medal the inscription is Blamiers but on his memorial plaque his name is spelt Blamires (I have all three he at home) He was my Great Grandfather.

• 4 months later...
Hi,

Ernest Blamiers was in 23rd Mdx (2nd football) and died near Arras on 25 March 1918, he is listed on Arras Memorial Bay No 7 and also on a plaque in St Denys Church in York. He was listed as missing presumed dead (MPD). The spelling confusion is understandable because on both his British War medal & Victory Medal the inscription is Blamiers but on his memorial plaque his name is spelt Blamires (I have all three he at home) He was my Great Grandfather.

Ernest Blamiers wife Edith re-married my Great Uncle who served with 1/5 West Yorkshire Regiment and survived the war.Edith was killed,April 29th 1942 at 103 Spalding Avenue,York, age 46, by the German Luftwaffe.The raid killed 92 people,48 women,31 men and 13 children the youngest being ten months old.Ediths daughter Nora survived.

How sad to have been affected in both Wars...

Name: DICKINSON, EDITH MELITA

Initials: E M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Civilian War Dead

Date of Death: 29/04/1942

Additional information: of 103 Spalding Avenue, Water Lane, Clifton Without. Wife of Ernest Dickinson. Died at 103 Spalding Avenue.

Casualty Type: Civilian War Dead

Reporting Authority: FLAXTON, RURAL DISTRICT

• 3 years later...
Guest ceblamires

Ernest Blamires was my grandad's older brother. Surname definitely Blamires. He was the second of ten children and was born c. 1884. If anyone has a photo they could email me I would be very grateful.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I am just starting to research into a couple of WW1 medals I have which were awarded to a S. Blamires of the RFA (Batley). One of the medals is a MM so I am hoping I can turn something up of interest. Oddly a cutting from the London Gazette 13-9-1918 shows another Blamires with the initial 'A' also being awarded the MM. Their service numbers are 103763 (S) and 103762 (A) and both are shown as being drivers so I presume they are related ? I dont know if these are any form of relation to you.