Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Royal Fusiliers

Landsturm

4th Royal Fusiliers were in thrown in to fire on 23.8.1914 at Nimy Bridge, Mons. There it received couple of VC's from gallant actions in delaying enemy advance. Does someone have information (I believe/hope so) on actions after Mons, until the end of year 1914? Le Cateau? Marne? Aisne? La Bassee? Flanders?

I would like to know more about them as well. I have a 14 star trio to a fellow in this battalion who arrived on the continent on 11 Nov.,1914; in time for the star but apparently too late for the clasp ( or if he did see action in the few days before eligibility ran out he never claimed it). I assume he still saw some pretty heavy going during 1914-15.

Hello All!!

The following is taken from "The Royal Fusiliers in the Great War", written by H.C. O'Neill back in the 20's, and reprinted by The Naval and Military Press. The book gives details of all the Royal Fusilier battalions' service, including the Territorials, which were from the London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers). The following is condensed and paraphrased - the book gives more details of the retreat, such as billets, names of officers wounded etc.

Retreat from Mons:

25th August rearguard - marched to Bermeries, then to Inchy the following day.

The action of August 26th: The battlefield of Le Cateau. Casualties suffered (1 man killed, 1 officer and 20 - 25 O.R.s wounded by shrapnel) when going into support after being relieved by the Northumberland Fusiliers.

The retreat resumed: 4th Royal Fusiliers and half the Royal Scots Fusiliers under Colonel MacMahon (c/o of the 4th Battalion) as rearguard to the 3rd Division.

27th August Marched to Hargicourt.

28th August Marched to Ham and Crissoles.

29th August : Rearguard to the division again. Fell back via Noyens, then Cuts, then on the 30th August Montois.

31st August: left Montois, marched to Vauciennes

1st September. As rearguard, marched to Boulliancy

2nd September: Marched to Penchard

3rd September: Passed through Meaux to Le Mans Farm.

4th September : Took up defensive positions south of Le Haute Maison, marched to Chatres on the 5th September.

This was the furthest point south the battalion retreated, now began the advance, as advance guard

Battle of the Marne.

8th September: first contact with the Germans (in the advance) at Orly, reached Les Faucheres at 8pm.

9th September. Crossed the Marne unopposed.

10th September: Contact with the enemy at Veuilly.(5 men killed, 4 officers and 29 men wounded) Captured (along with the Royal Scots Fusiliers) 600 men and a machine gun.

11th September. Arrived at Grand Rozoy.

12th September: small skirmishes with enemy in woods south of Brenelle, where the Battalion then billeted.

(Don't take this as gospel, I am sure to have made small mistakes of spelling or interpretation) Hope this helps a bit. I haven't got time to cover the whole period you mentioned, unfortunately.

All the best,

Tony

The 4th Bn RF also lost a lot of men in the fighting north of La Bassee in October 1914; your Mons Star man, Terry, probably arrived in a draft to replace those lost a few weeks earlier.

Thanks Paul. Even if he missed the big battles of the early days I'm sure the fellow, being a private in the PBI, saw his share.

• 3 years later...
4th Royal Fusiliers were in thrown in to fire on 23.8.1914 at Nimy Bridge, Mons. There it received couple of VC's from gallant actions in delaying enemy advance. Does someone have information (I believe/hope so) on actions after Mons, until the end of year 1914? Le Cateau? Marne? Aisne? La Bassee? Flanders?

Are you still interested in this information? I may be able to help. E mail jsneddon2@btopenworld.com

Hi Gents

If you need any info on this battallion from the time they left England untill the end of the war

let me know as i have a typed copy of the whole diary

regards Andy

If you need any info on this battallion from the time they left England untill the end of the war

let me know as i have a typed copy of the whole diary Andy

Hi Andy

Any chance of a scanned copy of the diary for 26/3/1916 to 31/3/1916 covering the actions at St Eloi craters? THis will give me a perspective of the action from the other flank from that covered by the Northumberland Fus which I already have.

Many thanks

Peter

Hello Peter.

Sorry to say i have not got a scanner,but if you send me a pm with your address i will post you a copy of the month you mentioned.

Regards Andy

Hi Peter

The information you wanted is in the post,if you need any more let me know.

Regards

Andy

The information you wanted is in the post,if you need any more let me know.

Andy

Many thanks for that it was exactly what I wanted. I owe you one

Thanks again

Peter

• 2 years later...

I may be a little late adding to this thread, however......

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. My Grandfather was 4th Battalion Royal Fusiliers & I've got a few bits of his stuff. Including postcard pictures of the band parading on the IOW before they left - these are distant shots and too small to make out individual faces. I also have a postcard of CO Macmahon, in full regimental uniform, which Granddad has written on the back "Dear old Mac killed in action". A couple of mysteries that I need help with, I have his medals which include a 1914 star & bar, I also have his MM - the problem is, I don't know how and why he got it. Can't find any citation in the London Gazette or the usual methods and I don't know at which point during the war he was awarded it - so if anyone still has the diaries, would this be mentioned?? Family myth or otherwise has it that he got it at Mons - he was good mates with Godley so this may fit?

I also have an Iron Cross with a hand written note "Captured at La fosse?? Airfield" again I would love to know a bit more about this.

Granddads details are:

CQMS Harry King 11892 - 4th Battalion (City of London) Royal Fusiliers. He was a 'boy soldier' and was in the band, he also won a trophies for marksmanship.

Like many, he was very proud of his military service and I remember his pride in being an Old Contemptible - however again like many he never talked about what he actually did!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.