Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Col F L Sharp CMG / Lt F A H Sharp

FRICOURT

My grandfather was batman to Lt Col Sharp and every Christmas up to the mid 1930's Mrs (Lady) Sharp used to send him a few pounds and a Christmas cake.

I have tried in vain to find details of the family, where they lived and local newspaper obituaries to the father and son. Last known address was Wimbledon but the Libraries Dept there have no trace.

Lt Col Fredrick Leonard Sharp CMG , 39th Brig, RFA. KIA 13.8.16 age 49. Burried Danzig Alley, Mametz. CMG 1915 after 30 years in army. My grandfather was also wounded around this time.

Son : Lt Fredrick Arthur Hamilton Sharp, also 39th Brig, RFA. KIA 30.10.18. Burried La Vallee- Mulatre Comm Cem Ext, France.

Can anyone help please.

Charlie

Thanks very much Alan. Do you know which local library I could write to to see if thre are obituaries in the local papers

Charlie

For information suggest you try either the:-

Central Library

Lion Yard

CAMBRIDGE

CB2 3QD

Telephone:- U.K. 01223 712000, Fax:- U.K. 01223 712018,

Email: Cambridge.Central.Library@cambridgeshire.gov.uk

OR

Cambridgeshire County Records Office

Shire Hall

Castle Hill

CAMBRIDGE

CB3 0AP

Telephone:- U.K. 01223 717281,

Fax:- U.K. 01223 717201,

Email: County.Records.Cambridge@cambridgeshire.gov.uk

Charlie,

You will find a photo of Lt-Col Sharp in the Sphere of 7/10/16 p18. Unfortunately I do not have a copy to hand but some other forum member might oblige.

Regards

Joe

Thanks Alan and Joe. Will progress now.

Charlie

• 6 years later...

Are you aware the father is noted on the Frimley War Memorial? If not I have a photo f same. Regards Rod Weale

Frederick Leonard Sharp

d.o.b 18/5/1867

Lt R. Art 17/2/1886

Capt R. Art 18/6/1896

Maj R. Art 12/4/1901

Lt-Col R. Art 1/10/1913

No war service or staff service pre 1914

Frederick Arthur Hamilton Sharp

d.o.b 22/6/1894

2Lt 5th Dragoon Guards 12/8/1914

Temp Lt 5 DG (15/11/14-20/2/16)

Lt R. Art 21/2/16

ADC 30/5/1917

Peter

• 8 years later...
On 26/03/2004 at 12:04, FRICOURT said:

My grandfather was batman to Lt Col Sharp and every Christmas up to the mid 1930's Mrs (Lady) Sharp used to send him a few pounds and a Christmas cake.

I have tried in vain to find details of the family, where they lived and local newspaper obituaries to the father and son. Last known address was Wimbledon but the Libraries Dept there have no trace.

Lt Col Fredrick Leonard Sharp CMG , 39th Brig, RFA. KIA 13.8.16 age 49. Burried Danzig Alley, Mametz. CMG 1915 after 30 years in army. My grandfather was also wounded around this time.

Son : Lt Fredrick Arthur Hamilton Sharp, also 39th Brig, RFA. KIA 30.10.18. Burried La Vallee- Mulatre Comm Cem Ext, France.

Can anyone help please.

Charlie

I have been researching a 2Lt William Dunlop 51st Battery 39th Brigade RFA KIA 30th October 1918. In his records is a letter from Mrs (Lady) Sharp to the family of 2Lt Dunlop and a picture 2Lt Dunlop's grave, both who were both killed by the same shell, to his family on a visit in 1919.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2004 at 12:04, FRICOURT said:

Can anyone help please.

Charlie

I have been researching a 2Lt William Dunlop 51st Battery 39th Brigade RFA KIA 30th October 1918. In his records is a letter from Mrs (Lady) Sharp to the family of 2Lt Dunlop and a picture 2Lt Dunlop's grave, both who were both killed by the same shell, to his family on a visit in 1919.