Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/7th, 2/8th (Leeds Rifles) Battalion

Guest linnet27

I have set myself the onerous task of finding my grandfather. I don't know his name!

My Dad was born in Leeds in 1920 and his father died before he was born. My Gran was in service at Somerleyton Hall in Suffolk and there was talk in the family of a photograph of soldiers at a big house near Gt. Yarmouth. My Gran's family had no connection with Leeds that we know of, so why was my Dad born there? Perhaps my grandfather came from Leeds and joined one of these Battalions?

The above Battalions were formed at Leeds and were at Somerleyton in 1916 and I wonder if there is any connection. I know I am clutching at straws but I would so love to know who my grandfather was.

My Dad was called Lawrence. Perhaps his father was Lawrence or possibly Mr Lawrence!

Does anyone know how many soldiers would have been involved in the two battalions? Are names listed anywhere?

I appreciate that there may be absolutely no connection but if anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them, even if it is to tell me I am crazy!

Have you tried looking up your father's birth certificate? It should have his father's name and you could try the death registers for the year he died. Otherwise it sounds like you're looking for a needle in a haystack, but good luck.

Justin

Name: George Lawrence

Regiment Name: Battn W Yorks Rgt (Leeds Rifles)

Regiment Number: 4125

Document Year: 1913

Name: Joseph Lawrence

Birth Year: abt 1892

Residence : 123 Wester Street, Brad??

Regiment Name: Service Battn West Yorkshire Reg?? Leeds

Regiment Number: 1059

Document Year: 1915

found these 2 service records if you would like to pm me your email address i can send you them ,

good luck regards Dave