Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CSM A Maskell Notts and Derby Reg.

Anthony Bagshaw

Hi

I recently acquired a 1914 star named to Sjt A Maskell 1/Notts & Derby R. He was killed in action as a CSM 14/2/16.The star is genuine and is correctly impresed (i have compared it with some others)

I thought i would get his MIC as the star is fitted with a replacement bar.MIC arrived but shows no entitlement to a star at all. :(

However the top left corner shows BEF 1914 and date of disembarkation as 4/11/14. Does anyone have any ideas what date of disembarkation means? Is it France or England when the battalion returned form India?

Did they occasionally make the mistake of not showing an entitlement to a medal?

I really am quite puzzled by it all and would appreciate some help understanding it!

Thanks

Anthony

Anthony, the disembarkation date is the date of landing in the theatre of war (i.e. France & Flanders), from which medal entitlement can be calculated.

As for the bar, I'm not an expert, and will leave it to one who is to explain!

• 1 year later...
Guest clarke maskell
Hi

I recently acquired a 1914 star named to Sjt A Maskell 1/Notts & Derby R. He was killed in action as a CSM 14/2/16.The star is genuine and is correctly impresed (i have compared it with some others)

I thought i would get his MIC as the star is fitted with a replacement bar.MIC arrived but shows no entitlement to a star at all. :(

However the top left corner shows BEF 1914 and date of disembarkation as 4/11/14. Does anyone have any ideas what date of disembarkation means? Is it France or England when the battalion returned form India?

Did they occasionally make the mistake of not showing an entitlement to a medal?

I really am quite puzzled by it all and would appreciate some help understanding it!

Thanks

Anthony

Hi, i am researching an mary elizabeth/ emma maskell her parents were joseph and harriett who lived at thorneywood lane nottingham she had brothers and sisters one of which is arthur do you have anymore info on him thanks

Anthony,

Ist battalion returned from India and landed at Plymouth at noon on 2 October. Disembarkation began at 7 a.m. the following day and the battalion went to Hursley Park near Winchester. The move to France began on 4 November with the battalion embarking from Southampton at 1 a.m. on the 5th. Disembarkation at Le Havre began at 1 p.m. later that same day.

The MIC is therefore technically incorrect by a day!

Hi, i am researching an mary elizabeth/ emma maskell her parents were joseph and harriett who lived at thorneywood lane nottingham she had brothers and sisters one of which is arthur do you have anymore info on him thanks

Clare,

I have sent you a PM regarding the above. :)

The MIC is therefore technically incorrect by a day!

Andrew,

Thanks for that mate. I had totally forgot about this post, scary how it has resurfaced though! :ph34r: