Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SD Waterproof Cap Cover Photos

gothic69

Hi all

I wondered if anyone has any modern photos of the SD Waterproof Cap Cover and Mackintosh Cape or other wet weather gear, i have always been interested in these.Thanks

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

Here is a pcture of the Waterproof cover for the Winter SD cap as introduced in 1914. It served on until after the war. Versions with neck flap removed or possibly not manufactured with one can be found to.

scankq8.jpg

Here is a picture of the Cyclists Waterproof cape--This one was issued in Jan 1918 to the 6th Royal Warwick in Italy.

What is laying on top are a pair of waterproof stockings.

scan0001rd3.jpg

Here is a picture of a 1918 dated Dismounted Waterproof coat.

scan0002cl4.jpg

I have a few more items but no pictures easily at hand.

Hope this is of interest.

Joe Sweeney

Ian,

Found another item picture. This is a pair of waterproof leggings (i'll have to look-up the actual nomenclature) dated 1918. These were issued to the RE and meant for Despatch riders but were used more widely.

scan0002.jpg

Joe Sweeney

Hi All,

Thanks for the photos, they are really great you are all very lucky to have such rare items in your collections, i do appreciate your efforts

Ian

Ian,

Found another item picture. This is a pair of waterproof leggings (i'll have to look-up the actual nomenclature) dated 1918. These were issued to the RE and meant for Despatch riders but were used more widely.

Joe Sweeney

It'd be good if you could please Joe.

I've got a pair of these and myself and Krithia, who was at my house at the time; were discussing them. He had the despatch thing noted - I was unaware and had thought they were for trench use - but would be good to have the detail, and any indications/ examples of their use beyond the despatch context.

Best wishes,

GT.