Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

what regiment

bclift

am I missing something? Where have you got the West Yorks reference from?

Mark

Given the uncertainty that Tommy apparently has with his soldier I assume the West Yorks reference isn't the Infantry Regiment as would make sense to us but possibly has more to to do with the West Riding (of Yorkshire) Brigade RFA.

If it helps to confuse matters then I've done a quick search on the DLI number that Mel found and it would appear to fall in the general area (late August/early September 1914) that Tommy's man was supposed to have enlisted.

Tommy, how sure are you that your man was Artillery?

Regards

Steve

Mark

Given the uncertainty that Tommy apparently has with his soldier I assume the West Yorks reference isn't the Infantry Regiment as would make sense to us but possibly has more to to do with the West Riding (of Yorkshire) Brigade RFA.

If it helps to confuse matters then I've done a quick search on the DLI number that Mel found and it would appear to fall in the general area (late August/early September 1914) that Tommy's man was supposed to have enlisted.

Tommy, how sure are you that your man was Artillery?

Regards

Steve

Steve,

I see what you mean :rolleyes:

What puzzles me is that Tommy has the medals, which presumably are inscribed something like:

Thomas H Pattison

RFA

so why the interest in the DLI anyway?? Perhaps the inscription is damaged?

Looks to me like Mel conclusively found our man ages back!

Cheers,

Mark

What puzzles me is that Tommy has the medals, which presumably are inscribed something like:

Thomas H Pattison

RFA

so why the interest in the DLI anyway?? Perhaps the inscription is damaged?

Looks to me like Mel conclusively found our man ages back!

If that's the case then I have to agree, DLI is presumably a complete red herring.......

Regards

Steve

Mark

I think I have identified the issue for Tommy who appears to be Brian as well :wacko:

There are 14 MICs for Thomas Pattisons in the artillery, 10 of which are potential candidates including another Thomas H !!

I think that this is a case of pinning the tail to the donkey.

Thank goodness that the quest was not for Thomas Brown, Smith or Jones. :o

Regards

Mel

Mark/Steve

Because I had almost given up the will to live with this one, I had completely forgotten about the medal inscription.

I assume that mobilisation has been confused with enlistment in August 1914.

Regards

Mel

Sorry I have caused so much confusion but at last the penny seems to have dropped and I am beginning to understand. Many thanks to everyone for their help.

tommy

Sorry I have caused so much confusion but at last the penny seems to have dropped and I am beginning to understand. Many thanks to everyone for their help.

tommy

Nice one Tommy - it is all very confusing at first I'm afraid! :unsure:

The key thing is to lay out all the information clearly in the first post of the Topic: with all the info from the medal inscription we'd have got to the result for you much much quicker!

Good luck with the rest of your hunt!

Cheers,

Mark

Mark/Steve

I assume that mobilisation has been confused with enlistment in August 1914.

Regards

Mel

Yes - that's my reading too Mel. I think Tommy was not aware that his chap was a part-time territorials gunner from his enlistment in 1912/1913 onwards and that the mobilisation of the TF in 1914 has been confused for enlistment. Perhaps further compounded by the RFA unit being a Second Line unit and not immediately earmarked for Overseas Service.

It's been a stoney road, but I think we've got there now!

Good work Mel.

Cheers,

Mark