Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  

19th western division

My grandad was in the welch inww1. He was in the 58th brigade and the 9th battalion fighting in the machine gun section B. If anyone has info on this regiment i would be very grateful to recieve Any tips on where to look? thanks hywel

Clive Harris

The 19th Western Division have a readily available history in reprint by Naval & Military Press written by Everard Wyrall, he wrote a number of unit histories and did not to my knowledge have any connection with the 19th.

Briefly, though your probably aware, they arrived in France mid July 15 and their first action was at Loos attached to the India Corps. In reserve for the first day of the Somme they fought at La Boiselle, High wood, Pozieres and on the Ancre in the following months. They were part of the highly successful Messines operations in june 1917 before 3rd Ypres saw them fight at Polygon Wood, Poelcappelle & Passchendaele. In the last year of the war after being heavily engaged during the March Retreat back across the Somme and then the Battle of the Lys around Messines again they were sent to rest in a quiet part of the line held by the French on the Aisne, here they were subjected to a most fearful and commited German attack which cost them dearly in late May. Still they played a role in the Advance to Victory on the Selle & Sambre rivers before being disbanded in March 1919

hope this helps