Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Samuel Jones, Shropshire man

Steven Broomfield

Just been for a trip to Ironbridge Gorge, and spent the night in Brosely (where the pipe museum is - it was shut <_< ). As you do, I had a look at the war memorial, and spotted the name Samuel Jones, rank Privtae, in the W.S.T.

Now, try as i might, I can't think what those initial signify, and as CWGC has 192 S Jones's, I thought I might ask if anyone can suggest anything.

Incidentally, a bit of excitement: we walked past the chippy last night, more or less opposite the memorial. When we went back to take the picture, the chippy was the centre of attention. Well, the pile of rubble where the chippy was, was the centre of attention. It blew up during the night. Judging by the crowd watching, it must have been the biggest thing in Shropshire since the Industrial revolution.

post-6673-1235081552.jpg

Thanks so far, chaps.

I agree he might not be Army, but his rank is given as Private, so he might be RFC but not a matelot.

The war memorial where i live has a chap who was in the Reconnaisance Corps in WW2: he is listed as being in R.E.C.C.E. (!); I wonder if there's a bizarre possibility W.S.T. is a strange abbreviation for Worcester? SDGW has 4 Samuel Jones's in the Worcesters.

It's fair to say i've no idea who he is, or what the initials stand for. There are only 3 men i can't trace off this memorial. As for William Wilde well he's very easy to trace.

I will say there are 2 Jones brothers from a little village outside Broseley, only one appears on the memorial.

Neil

As for the explosion, it was Brisley on midlands today.

• 4 weeks later...

Waggon Supply Train?

There is a book in the local libraries by Lt Col Terry Boxall and Roy Millward who searched out the Wrekin District war dead at the behest of the local authority and British Legion. I'm not sure Broseley was researched as I could only find a Samuel Jones from Hadley, who died "as a result of his wounds" in 1932, but he was an RFA driver.

Could be, Martin. Thanks Anyone else have any thoughts?

• 1 year later...

So "WST" is a mis-type of "WSR"?

Simples.

Well done for tracking it down, then.

Next time I visit Ironbridge Gorge I'll take a marker pen ...