The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Army Ordnance Corps

Ken Wayman

Hi Pals

Can anyone give me a few pointers in respect of AOC unit numbers and their possible locations during the Great War. I have a possible '12th Army Ordnance Corps' for a lad but I don't know whether this is useful or not!

Any ideas, please?

Ken

Hello Ken

This is a tricky one - basically the question is: 12th what, AOC?

AOC personnel were assigned singly to infantry battalions as armourer-sergeants, or to RFA brigades as armament artificers. There were a small number of workshops at Corps level and a larger number of depots on the Lines of Communication (L of C).

What other info do you have on this lad, and where from? If he was killed, the CWGC website should have a record, which should give you his unit more accurately, and in particular his place of burial would also help. Also, date of death.

His medal index card should also tell you in which theatre(s) of operations he served. XII Corps was in Macedonia so that would narrow down the search considerably. If he has no index card, he did not serve in an overseas theatre.

Most of the Ordnance units served on the L of C in France. Some of them have War Diaries at Kew in class WO95 but that for 12th Ordnance Depot, perhaps the most likely contender, only covers June to Sep 1919, but the initial entry might indicate where it had come from. This diary is in WO95/4176.

Ron

Hi Ron

Many thanks for your detailed reply.

The phrase '12th AOC' comes from his Army Pension Records which offers no other clues apart from his previous units (Army Cyclists and East Yorks). The lad served in France with the AOC from August 1918 to March 1919, again from the Pension Records. He survived, thus ruling out several other possible lines of enquiry. His MIC doesn't give his first theatre of war as he did not serve overseas until December 1916.

All in all, the route seems rather blocked! I will try the war diary possibility next time I'm down at Kew - you never know!!

Once again, many thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Ken

... none of which, unfortunately, have separate War Diaries!

12 Ord Amm Sec was part of First Army. The War Diary of its Deputy Director of Ordnance Services is in WO95/200.

12 Light Ord Mobile Workshop was part of XIX Corps. The War Diary of its Assistant Director of Ordnance Services is in WO95/946.

12 Medium Ord Mobile Workshop was part of XV Corps. The War Diary of its Assistant Director of Ordnance Services is in WO95/929.

Ron

I can help with some dates for what it is worth:

12 Ordnance Ammunition Section

formed 7.7.18. With 1st Army to 11.11.18

12 Light Mobile Workshops

X1V Corps - 20.4.16

V111 Corps 3.3.17

X1V Corps 1.8.17

XIX Corps 22.12.17

II Corps 14.3.18

X1X Corps 18.8.18 - 11.11.18

12 Medium Workshop

1st Army 11.11.17

XV Corps 22.12.17 -11.11.18

Hi Ian

The lad is O38256, Private Ernest Arthur Hipwell.

Sorry for the late reply - been distracted by another bit of research!

Cheers

Ken

Hi Terry, Ron

Considering what I started with, you've both done me proud! Many thanks, lads.

I now have some leads to work on.

All the best

Ken

Hi Ken

your man was discharged on 14/04/19, he returned his medals on the 14/06/23 and they were reissued on the 27/06/23, if you pm me your e-mail i can send you a copy of the Pairs roll for him

Ian