The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

William Jenkins - Royal Flying Corps

Lynne Storry

Hi,

The boys on another part of the Forum have very kindly a photograph of my Grandfather as being in the Royal Flying Corps. He was born in 1900 and enlisted in Birmingham when he was underage, but we don't know when. The only card I seem to be able to find on him (it may not be his card) is attached, and I have been on the Long Long Trail, but cannot find out all that I need to know in translation of this card. The only think I understand is the columns showing his name and corps. Can you help me on the rest. The Date of Discharge column is weird in that it shows he was discharged 6.2.18, then shows Enlistment as 24.6.16 but then says, I think, that he actually joined on 28.7.17. Cause of Discharge I cannot make head nor tail of. Heeeellllllpppppp

Lynne

post-43735-1235062659.jpg

He was discharged in accordance to Army Order 265 of 1917, Paragraph d.

It does not show that he qualified any WWI medals.

If the RAF generated a record for him it would be in AIR 79/816 (service numbers 89908 - 90000).

Hello Lynne,

I am pretty sure that this William Jenkins is not the one you seek. You can prove the point by getting the actual Silver War Badge entry. It will have this man's age on it. This William Jenkins was over 41 years old when discharged. Paragraph "d" was for older men only. It was dropped after 1917.

Regards Mike Jones

Hello Lynne,

I am pretty sure that this William Jenkins is not the one you seek. You can prove the point by getting the actual Silver War Badge entry. It will have this man's age on it. This William Jenkins was over 41 years old when discharged. Paragraph "d" was for older men only. It was dropped after 1917.

Regards Mike Jones

Hi Richard,

I am glad that you were able to throw light on this. At least it means that I can now discard the card and start to look elsewhere, but where? I am back to square one. Any ideas.

Regards

Lynne

Hi Lynne,

I have now seen the thread you are running in the section "The war in the air". That photograph (As stated by others also) was taken AFTER May 1919. The man clearly has Great War Medal Ribbons on his uniform. So he must have a Medal Index Card but under what Name? As you say he fibbed about his age on enlistment, it seems highly likely to me that he fibbed about his name as well. There is no William Jenkins in the RAF or RFC Medal Index Cards that could fit the bill. The man in the photo does have a MIC but how you are going to find it, beats me. Is there no chance any family member has his medals, As I am sure you know, his name and service number will be stamped on the outer edge/rim.

Regards Mike Jones

There is no William Jenkins in the RAF or RFC Medal Index Cards that could fit the bill.

Only a tiny percentage of members of the RFC or RAF have online Medal Index Cards; these show army awards and the bulk are for the Stars (they rarely show a trio as the Air Ministry issued the pairs) and gallantry medals. The RAF Medal Index Cards have not been released to the public however; for other ranks the British War and Victory Medals are usually shown on their service record. The Air Ministry issued these medals to all recipients as far as I know.

Applying some lateral thinking: have you, or whoever is direct next of kin, asked the MOD about his WW2 service? They should have a note of both that and a cross reference to his WWI number. It may be his service record is not available anyway as he had service after the cut off period for release of records.

Hi Lynne,

I do have to bow to superior knowledge on this matter. I did however check how many Medal Index Cards are Available on line at the National Archives for RFC/RAF. It came out at just under 27,000. I do not know what percentage of the whole this represents.

My feeling is that your man joined in the first 6 months of 1916 but just a feeling on past research.

Regards Mike Jones

Jenkins, W A

Corps: Royal Flying Corps

Regiment No: 7521

This man illustrates the problems with comments like "there a n amount of RFC people represented of the MICs online." There are three MICs on the UKNA site for 7521 Jenkins, W A RFC: two of which are for Mentions in Dispatches in 1917 and one for his 1914/15 Star (not the pair). Similarly there are two MICs on the UKNA site for James B McCudden (both of them miss off his T initial): one for his MM and another for his 1914 Star. So just 2 men have 5 MICs between them.

There were over 300,000 other ranks, let alone officers, who had been/ were in the RAF within the qualification period for the British War and Victory Medals. This includes former members of the RFC and RNAS; many of the latter qualified for medals not recorded either by the MICs or on their RAF service records! There are 26,417 records for just the search term 'flying' and 27,309 using 'air' in corps (there is probably some over lap). Even if the two results were added together and one assumed that they were all for seperate individuals, that would be less than 20% of the total. That total is less than the number of other ranks who were in the RNAS!