Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte James Mountford 6th Battalion KSLI

markmonty

I wonder if anyone can help, i bought a book yesterday on the 6th battalion ksli 1914- 1918 (A.Burgoyne)from the regimental museum, and am enjoying reading it immensly and finding it very informative. The reason for my interest in the 6th btn KSLI is my great uncle PTE James Mountford who served during the great war and who unfortunately died in March 1918 during the german offensive, we already had his details off the commonwealth commemorative site with his number, that he was k.i.a on the 31st March and because of the book we can now see what his btn was upto on the day he died. we know the 6th btn was a pals btn and the companys were made up of men from different towns in the county, my uncle was from Shifnal as am i, therefore would you know which company of the 6th he would have been in, and have you any pics of that coy? Any help would be greatly appreciated and any other information about James and the day he died would be much appreciated.

His full details are :

Pte James Mountford 11776

k.i.a 31st March 1918

From Shifnal Shropshire

Many thanks Mark Mountford

Mark

I THINK that A(nnette) Burgoyne is a member here,someone of that name has several long threads about the KSLI.Give her a PM ! Click on members at top right here,type that name in the search box and you will see the link to her.

Sotonmate

Mark

I THINK that A(nnette) Burgoyne is a member here,someone of that name has several long threads about the KSLI.Give her a PM ! Click on members at top right here,type that name in the search box and you will see the link to her.

Sotonmate

Thanks Sotonmate had already sent her a message, am awaiting a reply, thanks anyway

Mark

Mark

He is remembered on Shifnal war memorial, which is located in the church. I do have a photo, would you like it?

Neil

Mark

He is remembered on Shifnal war memorial, which is located in the church. I do have a photo, would you like it?

Neil

I would love it Neil, have seen the plaque on several occasions, but its only recently that i have found out that James Mountford was my great uncle, was going to ask permission to photograph it myself, but if you have a pic already that would be fantastic, could you email it to me at markmonty@blueyonder.co.uk

Thank you very much Neil

Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum, this is my second go today too reply to you, I thought I made a post this morning but it does not seem to have made it to the forum :(

Anyway I have had a look at my database, I do not have much info. on which Companies men served in but I think I have enough to make an asumption but please bear that in mind, he could have been in any of them.

The enlistment areas for the original Battalion.

"A" -Wellington/Wem/Oswestry

"B"-Very mixed but a lot from Hereford & Blackburn

"C" Shrewsbury

"D" Bridgnorth/Ludlow

The following are you relatives.

18857 Pte. Mountford, William Edwin, (12 High St., Shifnal, Shrops.) 3/K.S.L.I. (likely to have served in overseas Battalion as well) Trans. to L.C. 471126. Info. from Absent Voters Lists 1918 & M.I.C.

43678 Pte. Mountford, Joseph, (73 High St., Shifnal, Shrops.) 3/K.S.L.I. Trans. to Ches. 69811. Info. from M.I.C. & Absent Voters Lists 1918.

Annette

PS Glad you like the book

Thanks for that Annette, William, Joseph and James were all brothers, we didn't even know william had been in the army, James died and although joe was shot he survived well into his eighties, and i do remember him as a young child.

Anyway thanks again Annette, i will follow your posts closely

Thanks Mark

Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum, this is my second go today too reply to you, I thought I made a post this morning but it does not seem to have made it to the forum :(

Anyway I have had a look at my database, I do not have much info. on which Companies men served in but I think I have enough to make an asumption but please bear that in mind, he could have been in any of them.

The enlistment areas for the original Battalion.

"A" -Wellington/Wem/Oswestry

"B"-Very mixed but a lot from Hereford & Blackburn

"C" Shrewsbury

"D" Bridgnorth/Ludlow

The following are you relatives.

18857 Pte. Mountford, William Edwin, (12 High St., Shifnal, Shrops.) 3/K.S.L.I. (likely to have served in overseas Battalion as well) Trans. to L.C. 471126. Info. from Absent Voters Lists 1918 & M.I.C.

43678 Pte. Mountford, Joseph, (73 High St., Shifnal, Shrops.) 3/K.S.L.I. Trans. to Ches. 69811. Info. from M.I.C. & Absent Voters Lists 1918.

Annette

PS Glad you like the book