The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What could this be?

myquest1

Can any of you experts out there tell me what the item on the soldiers lapel is? I am not referring to the buttonhole flower or the medal but the small item which could be a badge backed with a ribbon. I am trying desperate measures now to identify this Cpl. from the Royal Berkshire Regiment wearing DCM. Cheers![post-39052-1235048149.jpg=99784:gwf_edited_4.jpg]

Not sure about the trimming, but have you tried the forum member who offers DCM look-ups? There must be a limited number of RBRs who earned one [but, as often, I may be shot down on this].

Could the favour be wedding-related?

D

Are you sure it is a DCM? It's not an MM or a LSGC? The item in the button hole could be one of those Flag Day badges, these came in a number of different shapes and designes. The majority were made of card and have some information on which charity or fund the money was collected for. I have seen some photo's of men in hospital Blues during open days wearing them.

Regards,

Stewart

Not sure about the trimming, but have you tried the forum member who offers DCM look-ups? There must be a limited number of RBRs who earned one [but, as often, I may be shot down on this].

Could the favour be wedding-related?

D

Thank you for your respone. I have a list of DCM recipients from the RBRsm my man is a Cpl as he has two stripes. Dont think it is wedding related as the lady sitting on his right is my Grandmother who did not marry. She was also a florist so this is where the buttonhole probably came from. Thanks again Rosemary

Are you sure it is a DCM? It's not an MM or a LSGC? The item in the button hole could be one of those Flag Day badges, these came in a number of different shapes and designes. The majority were made of card and have some information on which charity or fund the money was collected for. I have seen some photo's of men in hospital Blues during open days wearing them.

Regards,

Stewart

Friends and colleagues in the GWF seem to agree that the medal is a DCM and not MM. I do not know what LSGC is? Very interesting information about Flag Day badges, never thought of this. Were flag days at a certain time of the year? You have given me food for thought. Thank you. Rosemary

Unlikely to be a LSGC, as the ribbon depicted has a central darker stripe which is a third of the ribbon's width a la DCM;the LSGC would either be plain Crimson or Crimson with thin White edges if a later award.

I would concur with the Flag Day theme~these would be on various days/weeks to raise funds as today by steet sellers,for various Military/PoW/Home Front Charities.

Unlikely to be a LSGC, as the ribbon depicted has a central darker stripe which is a third of the ribbon's width a la DCM;the LSGC would either be plain Crimson or Crimson with thin White edges if a later award.

I would concur with the Flag Day theme~these would be on various days/weeks to raise funds as today by steet sellers,for various Military/PoW/Home Front Charities.

Thank you for the clarification the medal side of things. Thought Flag Day was perhaps just St. Georges Day or Empire Day but what you say makes more sense.

Thanks again. Rosemary

Hiya Rosemary.

I am almost certain (not that it means much :rolleyes: ) that it is a E VII head on the medal & if so,your boy would be a peice of cake to find as next to no DCM's were awarded under his short reign (if it is a DCM).

The picture isn't too clear & it may look like he doesnt have his chin resting on the shoulder but I reckon it's Edwardian & not GV (25000+ awarded under George).

I could be chucking you a red herring but,worth a try.This would also mean that your man was an old soldier by the time WW1 ended.Could we see the whole photo?

Dave.

I am almost certain (not that it means much :rolleyes: ) that it is a E VII head on the medal & if so,your boy would be a peice of cake to find as next to no DCM's were awarded under his short reign (if it is a DCM).

The picture isn't too clear & it may look like he doesnt have his chin resting on the shoulder but I reckon it's Edwardian & not GV (25000+ awarded under George).

I could be chucking you a red herring but,worth a try.This would also mean that your man was an old soldier by the time WW1 ended.Could we see the whole photo?

I'm certain it's actually George V and not Edward VII - the depiction of Edward VII on medals at the time filled more of the obverse and butts closely against the rim - here there is a noticable gap at the bottom and extra space all around, which matches the obverse of George V bareheaded bust in Field Marshalls uniform exactly, as shown here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Distingu..._Medal_(UK).png

Hiya Rosemary.

Dave.

Hi Dave

It would be great if the medal was E V11 as I really would like it to be a piece of cake. However, from what Andrew Upton is saying this could be doubtful. Dont worry about chucking me a red herring any idea or possible lead is more than welcome. Whole photo attached. Thank you for your interest and input which is refreshing.

Rosemary

post-39052-1235396279.jpg

I'm certain it's actually George V and not Edward VII - the depiction of Edward VII on medals at the time filled more of the obverse and butts closely against the rim - here there is a noticable gap at the bottom and extra space all around, which matches the obverse of George V bareheaded bust in Field Marshalls uniform exactly, as shown here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Distingu..._Medal_(UK).png

This is really interesting. Even if the medal is George V and not Edward V11 (which would have made things easier) at least this must eliminate those given during his reign, albeit a short one. Thank you very much for attaching the example. Really happy with any leads or ideas. Rosemary

I feel specsavers beckons!! :wacko:

Edward VII it aint,definitely a George V Field Marshall Bust Medal...

post-2388-1235422590.jpg

post-2388-1235422600.jpg

I feel specsavers beckons!! :wacko:

Edward VII it aint,definitely a George V Field Marshall Bust Medal...

Thanks for showing the two examples which clarifies things. I can see what is meant about more space around the figure on one medal as opposed to the other. This has raised a couple of questions for me. 1. Is there any significance to the different coloured ribbon on second example? 2. Did George V have any other DCM's minted during his reign other than Field Marshall Bust?

Your forbearance is appreciated

Rosemary

Thanks for showing the two examples which clarifies things. . This has raised a couple of questions for me.

1. Is there any significance to the different coloured ribbon on second example?

2. Did George V have any other DCM's minted during his reign other than Field Marshall Bust?

i}The Geo V Medal is representative of most Geo V Gallantry awards of the period{for Army/RFC} the depicted medal is actually a LSGC {with original plain pre 1916 Ribbon} but carries the same identical "FM" Bust,on the Planchet of the Distinguished Conduct Medal,for illustrative purposes.

ii}There was a later variant of the DCM/MM which carried the "Robes & Crowned" head similar to the Imperial issue Indian General Service Medal {1911~35} Bust.the numbers awarded for the MM are very few & IIRC there were NO DCMs actually awarded with the C&R Bust,though it was struck

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart.

Juat a thought! You say you have seen some photo's of men in Hospital Blues during open days wearing the Flag Day badges. Would these be Regimental open days? If so, do you know roughly how often these were held? Revisiting all of my messages just in case there is something I have overlooked or not realised the significance of. Thanks for your help. Rosemary