Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA - 17 Division Flanders Jan. 1916

stephen p nunn

My wife's late grandfather - John (Jack) Richardson - was born in Brompton, North Yorkshire, on 21/8/1895. During the Great War he was a Driver in the RFA (21032) and we know he went to France on 14/7/1915. He was later in the RE (312763). My wife has his three medals - marked up as RFA - but also has a match box cover that reads "RFA 17 Div. Flanders Jan. 1916".

If that match box cover actually relates to him (and I can't see why it doesn't) does anyone know what he would have been up to in January 1916 and where exactly he would have been.

Apparently Jack didn't talk about the war. He died in an old people's home in 1988.

My wife would much appreciate any info.

Best regards.

SPN.

That's great Paul. Thank you very much. My wife will be really pleased. We know from her grandad's medal card that he first went out to France on 14/7/1915 - which links in with your attachment that says the division arrived in July 1915. If he was RFA from then and was in Flanders in January 1916, I assume he was either LXXVIII, LXXIX, LXXX, LXXXI (Howitzer) or Ammunition Column? The January 1916 date on the matchbox cover is intersting as it seems to pre-date their early actions (at the Bluff and Albert). Although he was a "Driver" with the RFA, he later served in the RE and his card has a "Z" under the remarks. Anyone any thoughts?

Best regards.

SPN.

Maldon