Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

258 Siege Battery - RGA

Guest MDavies

My great grandfathers was record showed that he was posted to Boulogne 27th February 1917 with the above unit. He was wounded on the 12th October 1917 and returned to England on the 4-5th November 1917. I would like to know where in Belgium/France he was wounded and the movements of his unit/regiment during this time.

One researcher says the war diaries were missing between Sept-Dec 1917 when he went to Kew recently, another says they should be there but could be in the 88th Brigade box, as they looked after four batteries, including the 258. He mentions that very little is on record about the 258 but that it was formed at Sheerness on the 13th September 1916.

Any enlightening information would be hugely appreciated. I knew my great grandfather and visited him many times as a child, until he died in the 1980's. My mother who lived with him during the 40's-50's says the war was not mentioned and is a keen as myself to learn a little more about his possible movements whilst in the Army. His injuries were such that he was discharged due to his disability.

Many thanks for your help.

I can only add:

Order of Battle as of 11th November 1918

88th Brigade RGA - 3rd Army Troops

123 Siege Battery (6 x 6" howitzers)

258 Siege Battery (4 x 6" howitzers)

328 Siege Battery (4 x 6" howitzers)

78 Siege Battery (6 x 8" howitzers)

Ronnie.