Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bed & Breakfast in Somme

Donald Mogg

Hello everyone,

has anyone any reccomendations for B & B as we are visiting the Somme again this Aug, we have had varied experiences in the past so we wanted a change, got any ideas folks,

Regards

Don Mogg

Don

Very many Pals, myself included, stay at Avril Williams B&B. On the link Brian has posted.

I have stayed at others' in extremis, and have been disappointed but it really does depend on precisely what you want and expect and what you actually get- can be a bit of a gap in some cases.

Good luck anyway.

Martin

• Admin

I always book gites self catering that refuse animals as I have a bad allergy to cats and a lot of the B&Bs seem to have masses of cats knocking around- I spent a night wheezing and spluttering in the car once in such a situation. We found a gite next day...............

Michelle

2 that I would sugest are; Peter & Hillary Smith in Flers or Peter & Sarah Wright in Longueval.

PM me if you would like contact details.

Regards

John

2 that I would sugest are; Peter & Hillary Smith in Flers or Peter & Sarah Wright in Longueval.

Regards

John

peter and sarah are real top people to stay with, stay there 2 times a year like home from home and first class brekkie and good views

barry

Regards

John

Thanks John.

Can you give me the details

Kid regards

don

Nice to hear good recommendations from John & Barry for Peter & Sarah. I'm staying with them for a week soon. Spoken to Sarah on phone and she sounds such a lovely warm genuine person. Def going to enjoy our stay there me thinks :D

Wayne

Nice to hear good recommendations from John & Barry for Peter & Sarah. I'm staying with them for a week soon. Spoken to Sarah on phone and she sounds such a lovely warm genuine person. Def going to enjoy our stay there me thinks :D

Wayne

Thanks everyone,

Don

Click Here

It's a new website.

:P

Interesting website....'It is the only cellar to have survived intact in Auchonvillers' really?

Mick

im interested in knowing more about the two B & Bs. I havent ever stayed in one - usually prefer the impersonal hotel - but dont like Albert and Amiens is a bit far from where I want to be.

How are the bathrooms, the reading lights in the B & Bs. Where does one go to eat in the evening?

Kathie

im interested in knowing more about the two B & Bs. I havent ever stayed in one - usually prefer the impersonal hotel - but dont like Albert and Amiens is a bit far from where I want to be.

How are the bathrooms, the reading lights in the B & Bs. Where does one go to eat in the evening?

Kathie

Hi Kathie,

give them a call and ask them direct. They are very nice people and both will do evening meals if you give them a bit of notice.

Regards

John

Have to recommend Christine & Jean-Pierre Matte's Bernafay Wood B & B. I stayed there in July '06 and had an amazing time. Its located in an old train station located literally in the heart of Bernafay Wood. I had a private room, but shared the bathroom, which presented no problem at all. Breakfasts were included and I enjoyed eating with a group of like minded individuals. I met a couple from Australia who were following their family roots (as well as the tour d france a little later), a family from England and another family from the Netherlands. There was a kitchen with a communal fridge where I prepared my lunches and dinners.

When I was there the Jean-Pierre was recovering from a stroke, so I did not have an opportunity to really spen time with him (obviously) or his wife, but they are supposed to be amazing guides to the area.

Jon

Have to recommend Christine & Jean-Pierre Matte's Bernafay Wood B & B. I stayed there in July '06 and had an amazing time. Its located in an old train station located literally in the heart of Bernafay Wood. I had a private room, but shared the bathroom, which presented no problem at all. Breakfasts were included and I enjoyed eating with a group of like minded individuals. I met a couple from Australia who were following their family roots (as well as the tour d france a little later), a family from England and another family from the Netherlands. There was a kitchen with a communal fridge where I prepared my lunches and dinners.

When I was there the Jean-Pierre was recovering from a stroke, so I did not have an opportunity to really spen time with him (obviously) or his wife, but they are supposed to be amazing guides to the area.

Jon

Hi,

Stayed at Bernafay Wood twice now, first time in 2007 & then last year. First year was great as weather very good even in April and the location is lovely but remote. Accomodation could def be described as basic but authentic. Jean Pierre is still recovering and sadly doubt he will ever be as well as he was. Christine is running the place on her own and i think finding it difficult at times but her heart is still in it. Last year sadly weather wasn't as good in April and it just is too cold here as the heating seems bit antiquated.Breakfast is minimal i.e toast & Croissant. Def recommend it if you just want a base to stay at in the heart of the Somme but if its home/modern comforts you are looking for then wouldn't recommend. Must add this is only my personal thoughts and am sure many will disagree as well as agree

Wayne

Off the beaten track, outside the Somme (just) and no English spoken and few like minded travellers (well none to be sure) I always stay at the Hotel Du Nord at Fonquevillers. Excellent basic accomodation. Evening meals and brekkie. Warm and comfortable. Excellant value.

Regards

TT