Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots Fusiliers

Guest DaveB

I am new to all this so please excuse any blunders.

My Grandfather was with 3rd Bat. RSF and served in France but all the information I have seen so far tells me the 3rd Bat. were reserves and did not leave UK. Can anyone cast a light on this please.

Dave,

you're right is saying 3 RSF never went abroad. Can you give us some more detail - what information do have and what is the source?

For instance, if you have his discharge papers they might well describe him as being in 3 RSF if he was processed through the 3rd Bn for discharge.

Jock

Hi There,

The 3rd Bt. or most regiments was the training battalion. So upon enlistment or conscription they would be posted to the 3rd and then on to which ever battalion was in need of them. I have come across many like this in many regiments.

Hope that helps,

Tim

Thanks for the information so far, here is what I have.

He reached sergeant, his Regimental Number was 20521. I have his Army Form Z.18 (Certificate of Employment during the War) - This says he spent 20 months in France.

I also have a very ragged "Protection Certificate and Certificate of Identity". This shows Record Office as Hamilton, Unit 3rd Batt. Regt RSF. Dispersal unit was Clipstone, No. 2 Dispersal Unit.

Dave,

right, I think that explains where the 3rd Bn comes into it. At the very least, he passed through it on his way to discharge.

If it helps, RSF casualties with 205xx numbers start appearing in mid-16, so that is a rough indication of when he might have gone to France.

If you haven't read 'How to research a soldier' on the mother site

http://www.1914-1918.net/

have a look now - that will explain what is possible.

You're really looking at the PRO at Kew to find out more. You don't say what his name was - you'll eventually be able to see his Medal Index Card on line (you already can for surnames starting A and B ), but this isn't always very informative.

See here

http://www.documentsonline.pro.gov.uk/medals.asp

Jock