Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillery gunnery school officers ? - uniform queries

battiscombe

attached a photo of officers in what is likely to be a gunnery school group photo. Can any RA uniform experts comment on headgear and uniform of the central officers .. as perhaps suggesting date and contxt of picture? Are the cap bands significant?

Other men are wearing MCs and wound stripes (not sure when the latter first appeared..) but this predates issue of other war medals it appears. I cant make out the central officirs medal ribbon - perhaps a DSO despite colour balance appearing wrong ? Not sure what else it might be (CMG?)

any thoughts welcome

post-7621-1234906287.jpg

H'mm, the polished cap badges are unusual. For a long time now Instructors in Gunnery (IG) have worn a red band around their caps when at the School of Artillery or at firing practices. However, I don't know when this started. It may be connected with the fact that IGs belong to the Gunnery Staff and hence wear staff red bands when on gunnery instruction duties.

attached a photo of officers in what is likely to be a gunnery school group photo. Can any RA uniform experts comment on headgear and uniform of the central officers .. as perhaps suggesting date and contxt of picture? Are the cap bands significant?

Other men are wearing MCs and wound stripes (not sure when the latter first appeared..) but this predates issue of other war medals it appears. I cant make out the central officirs medal ribbon - perhaps a DSO despite colour balance appearing wrong ? Not sure what else it might be (CMG?)

any thoughts welcome

My Father was an IG and RA Instructors wear a White Band. The 2 Officers with what appear to be Red Bands could be Staff gunners or maybe Honourable Artillery (very posh City types) wearning dress caps with a weather cover. No doubt some experts will provide an answer.

Tony.

chap on the right with the 2 ribbons, one is the MC but can´t make out the other. The chap in the centre with the single ribbon...doesn´t look like a chivalry medal the nearest in terms of colour balance is the 1900 china medal another option might be Territorial Efficiency Medal 2nd Type

chap on the right with the 2 ribbons, one is the MC but can´t make out the other. The chap in the centre with the single ribbon...doesn´t look like a chivalry medal the nearest in terms of colour balance is the 1900 china medal another option might be Territorial Efficiency Medal 2nd Type

What era are we talking about?

Some history.

The 'Long Course' for commissioned officers and giving the qualification 'Instructor in Gunnery' (IG) (or 'g' in the Army List) dates back to mid 19th century (if not earlier). In 1902 it was renamed the 'Gunnery Staff Course'.

The Gunnery School, Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery opened at Shoeburyness in 1890. The Commandant had a significant staff role until CRAs were established in 1908 (or thereabouts) and then became the Chief Instructor in Gunnery. The role of the Gunnery Staff was to instruct at the school and attend practice camps in the summer training season and report on them.

At latest, after WW2 AIGs (WO2) (later SMIGs) and Master Gunners wore a white cover to their caps. IGs had a red band.

I don't think HAC ever wore the RA cap badge, the HAC cap badge is basically that of the City of London. I can't imagine why HAC (gunners or infantry) would have worn a No 1 dress hat in the field with SD.

It has been suggested that one officer elsewhere in the picture is from Australian 5th division which might suggest this is summer 1916 (or later) ... a gunnery course somewhere, I was wondering?

What era are we talking about?

Some history.

The 'Long Course' for commissioned officers and giving the qualification 'Instructor in Gunnery' (IG) (or 'g' in the Army List) dates back to mid 19th century (if not earlier). In 1902 it was renamed the 'Gunnery Staff Course'.

The Gunnery School, Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery opened at Shoeburyness in 1890. The Commandant had a significant staff role until CRAs were established in 1908 (or thereabouts) and then became the Chief Instructor in Gunnery. The role of the Gunnery Staff was to instruct at the school and attend practice camps in the summer training season and report on them.

At latest, after WW2 AIGs (WO2) (later SMIGs) and Master Gunners wore a white cover to their caps. IGs had a red band.

I don't think HAC ever wore the RA cap badge, the HAC cap badge is basically that of the City of London. I can't imagine why HAC (gunners or infantry) would have worn a No 1 dress hat in the field with SD.