Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Soldier help needed G Batt

17tankman

Hi purchased a book recently called Narrative History of G and 7th Tank Battalion 1919

The front has the name S G Maithurs or something like this and number 8685

In the book has been written under 19/08/1917 MY TANK and G29 in the narrative has been underlined. Also the battle report for G29 has been highlighted. On 20/11/1917 the person has highlighted two tanks of the 20th Co and then in pen G29.

In the back of the book under roll of honour KIA he has ticked

Mungall G he added George - he was KIA 09/08/1917

Prescott H - he was KIA 21/11/1917

and Rutter HM - he was KIA 14/04/1918

In the the Honours and Awards he has put G29 next to Capt A G Baker - have checked this an Lt A G Baker was commander of G29. Awarded MC 19/08/1917 & Bar 20-21/11/1917

Also in Military Medal bit under Philip D T he wrote G29 My Tank. The citation for this was 201444 Gmr Philip D T G Battn awarded MM for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. On November 20, 1917, West of Graincourt, though wounded, he served his 6-pdr gun in a most cool and gallant manner. He knocked out an enemy field gun at about 600 yards range which had already knocked out several tanks close by, and which was at the time firing at his own tank.

Can we identify this soldier as having trouble finding him - were all these names crew of G29 and he knew them all?

Thks 17tankman

17tankman,

Not sure if it would be of any interest to you but I have a copy of an article "Gunfight at St. Julien" from the Spring 1993 edition of Stand To which covers G Btn's actions for the period 16th - 19th August 1917. It was written by P H Arscott whose father was in G Btn at the time (crewed G43). You are welcome to a copy. PM me with your address details if you want one.

Tanks3

There is a Stanley G Matthews but the number does not correspond:

Medal card of Matthews, Stanley G

Corps Regiment No Rank

Tank Corps 201423 Corporal

Regards

Mel

17tankman,

The G29 which was in action on 19 August 1917, and the G29 that saw action during the Battle of Cambrai in November that year, are different tanks. The first carried the name "Gorgonzola", and I have it as commanded by 2/Lt AG Baker. The Cambrai tank was "Gorgonzola II" commanded by Captain AG Baker, who I am sure must be the same chap.

Gorgonzola II has a lasting memorial at the Tank Museum, Bovington, in the shape of the Graincourt gun, which was recovered from the battlefield by the tank. The interesting part is the plaque, which ties together two of the names you have: a gunner called Philip (according to the citation) or Phillips (according to the plaque) and Captain Baker as two of the crew of G29 at Cambrai.

It seems to me quite likely that Prescott and Rutter also served in one or both of the G29s. Mungall may have served in the first though obviously not in the second.

Gwyn

post-20823-1235248809.jpg

Just checked: George Mungall's date of death was 19th - not 9th - August 1917. On that date, G29 ditched so badly that it was no longer possible to elevate the 6 pounder - this from G Battalion report on operations 19.8.17, which is in WO 95/98 at The National Archives, Kew. If you're able to get there you might find something that ties George Mungall to that tank and explains how he lost his life.

Gwyn