Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1 last mic look up my friends

herbie4798

hi all. im hoping this is my last mic request for pals. im hoping to take the leap and subscribe to ancestry at the end of the week. so i can help people instead of asking. im looking for the mic of 1696 pte j burling, 10th london regiment, kia 09/12/1914.

best regards

james

James - I can't find him - on CWGC, I've found Pte T Burling who died that day and is buried in Brompton Cemetery, London. So perhaps he did not serve overseas.

Alan

hi alan, thanks for your quick reply. thats my man you have there :) buried in brompton cemetry. want to try and find out he died. could have been in training? do you have acess to SDGW?

best regards

james

His details on SDGW are

Pte Thomas Burling 1696

London Regiment

10th (County of London) Battalion (Hackney)

Enlisted Hackney

Residence Victoria Park

Died how - died

Theatre of War - Home

On the Long Long Trail, it says this -

1/10th (County of London) Battalion (Hackney)

August 1914 : at The Grove in Hackney. Part of 3rd London Brigade, 1st London Division. Moved on mobilisation to Bullswater, going on in September to Crowborough.

April 1915 : moved to Norwich and transferred to the East Midland Brigade in East Anglian Division.

7 May 1915 : formation renamed 162nd Brigade in 54th (East Anglian) Division. Moved to St Albans.

Late July 1915 : sailed from Plymouth for Gallipoli, going via Mudros. Landed at Suvla Bay 11 August 1915.

December 1915 : evacuated from Gallipoli and moved to Egypt.

So it does look like he died in training

Alan

Apologies - still new at all of this. What is SDGW?

SDGW is "Soldiers Died in the Great War" - available on CD-Rom, and the details are also held on ancestry.co.uk. Again, from the Long Long Trail -

"Soldiers Died in the Great War"

Published in 1921 with facsimile copies printed since, this is a listing in 80 volumes plus a separate volume for officers. Each volume deals with individual regiment or corps, and lists those who died based on regimental records. Each soldier is identified by name, number, rank, regiment, unit, date of death, theatre of war and cause of death (killed in action, died of wounds or died). Some entires also give extra information, such a a man's former regiment. It contains no personal information. "Soldiers Died" contains errors and omissions but overall is an excellent resource.

ISBN 1 871505 01 1 to 1 871505 80 1.

There is a full set of the volumes available to the public in Birmingham Central Library. Individual volumes are quite easy to find on the second hand book market.

This work is now also obtainable as a searchable CD-ROM from Naval & Military Press. The CD-ROM has the advantage that the casualties can be searched and sorted, which is a great benefit if you are researching a unit or what happened to Grandad's chums. Inevitably it does contain some transcription errors. It is an excellent resource but it is very expensive (currently £285).

Many branches of the Western Front Association have a copy of the CD-ROM, as do some libraries - including the one at the National Archives.

Naval & Military Press has also made the information searchable online but there is a fee to download an entry.

Alan

James

If you need to know his cause of death you can order his death cert online here using the following info:

BURLING, Thomas - Chelsea registration district, volume 1a, page 492, December quarter 1914

Jim

SDGW is "Soldiers Died in the Great War" - available on CD-Rom, and the details are also held on ancestry.co.uk. Again, from the Long Long Trail -

"Soldiers Died in the Great War"

Published in 1921 with facsimile copies printed since, this is a listing in 80 volumes plus a separate volume for officers. Each volume deals with individual regiment or corps, and lists those who died based on regimental records. Each soldier is identified by name, number, rank, regiment, unit, date of death, theatre of war and cause of death (killed in action, died of wounds or died). Some entires also give extra information, such a a man's former regiment. It contains no personal information. "Soldiers Died" contains errors and omissions but overall is an excellent resource.

ISBN 1 871505 01 1 to 1 871505 80 1.

There is a full set of the volumes available to the public in Birmingham Central Library. Individual volumes are quite easy to find on the second hand book market.

This work is now also obtainable as a searchable CD-ROM from Naval & Military Press. The CD-ROM has the advantage that the casualties can be searched and sorted, which is a great benefit if you are researching a unit or what happened to Grandad's chums. Inevitably it does contain some transcription errors. I is an excellent resource but it is very expensive (currently £285).

Many branches of the Western Front Association have a copy of the CD-ROM, as do some libraries - including the one at the National Archives.

Naval & Military Press has also made the information searchable online but there is a fee to download an entry.

--

Alan

Crikey, that was quick - many thanks.

Roger

alan,auchsomme, thank you for that. the regiment is my main research at the moment. the battalion didnt go to war until 1915 so thats why i thought it must have been during training.

jim. thanks for the link. that will be my next port of call.

thanks for your help everyone.

james