Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Purpose of a Depot Battn

182 CEF

Can anyone explain the purpose of a Depot Battn? We had a few here in Canada but it is a bit hard to get info on them. I am interested in the B.C. Depot Battn as a friend has one of the badges and wants to know more about the unit.

Thanks

Dean

Whitby Ontario

Guest Desmond6

As I understand it, a Depot Btn existed to train recruits as replacements for field battalions. Here in present-day Ballymena we have the Depot, The Royal Irish Regiment which exists as the training base for the regiment proper. It is staffed by soldiers and officers from various battalions who act as instructors/administrators.

When the new recruits are deemed ready, they go through their 'passing out' parade and then are posted to their operational units. I assume in WW1, the Canadian army operated in virtually the same way?

More knowledgeable Pals will help me, but I believe the Depot Battalions were formed in each military district, after the mad rush of 14/15/16 enlistment was over. Battalions still recruiting in 17/18 would send men to the Depots, who would train them up a bit in Canada, and then send them to the Reserve Battalions for each military district in England. More training in England, and as the fighting battalions required reinforcements, men from the Reserve battalions would get sent to the front, "overseas."

So I don't think a Depot Battalion badge is either unusual or particularly interesting, but that is just my opinion. :)

Below is the list of Military Districts:

MD1: Western Ontario

MD2: Toronto & Ontario

MD3: Eastern Ontario

MD4: Montreal

MD5: Quebec

MD6: Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island

MD7: New Brunswick

MD10: Manitoba

MD11: British Columbia

MD12: Saskatchewan

MD13: Alberta

I believe Love has more on this in his epic, which I don't have at work. I wonder if I should get a second copy and paste a computer manual cover on the outside so that when I am consulting it, colleagues will think I am actually doing my job. ;)