Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Red Zone

PBI

After the end of the War i know that the French Govt designated certain areas as a part of "The Red Zone",i understand that these were areas where destruction was so complete,that it was believed that these Areas were uninhabitable,and useless for Agriculture.,building etc.Would there have been a List of Names and/or Maps Published by the French Govt of the time that shows the areas of the "Red Zone" or Names Towns or Vilages included in the Zone ?.

PBI

By asking your question you become one of the few people who need "After the Ruins". It is a V expensive book but if you are prepared to pay the postage you can borrow my copy and read the 30 plus pages scattered throughout that are listed in the index under Red Zone.

Peter

Many thanks to Bender for the Map,and also to you Peter for your very kind offer.I have some surplus Cash at the Moment so i will be Buying "After The Ruins",i looked on Google and i can get a used copy for around £50.00.Many thanks again to both of you.Kind regards Russ.

As I understand it, Ypres (Ieper) in Belgium was declared a Red Zone but the people wouldn't have it. They returned and started to rebuild. So, they then decided to leave the Cloth Hall in ruins, well, look at it now. It's bloody magnificent! (oops, sorry bout the profanity).

Peter

I should imagine that it must have been nigh on impossible for the Govts in Belgium and France to prevent determined Civilians returning back to their Homes (what was left of them..if anything),so i should imagine that gradually the Civilian population would have drifted back and started rebuilding their Towns and Villges,Farms,etc,etc.helped along by German War reperations.Some of the first to return to the devestated Areas would have been Battlefield clearance Parties,IWGC Builders and Gardeners..also not forgetting a steady trickle of Battlefield Tourists and Veterans from all sides returning to where they had fought,this in itself would have led to the re establishment of a social infrastructure.I dont think that the Red Zones were handed over by the Govts as much as re invaded again by the Civilian populace,and that the Govts felt that there was no possible way of evicting them once that they had returned.

Looking at the map posted by Olivier, there are a couple of small red zones on the edge to the right of Nancy.

Can anyone identify them and the battles there?

PBI

By asking your question you become one of the few people who need "After the Ruins". It is a V expensive book but if you are prepared to pay the postage you can borrow my copy and read the 30 plus pages scattered throughout that are listed in the index under Red Zone.

Peter

I borrowed a copy of After the Ruins from my local library on the inter-library loan scheme, although I found some of it quite interesting, overall it was pretty hard going unless French agriculture and local politics is your thing.