Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Research

Ice Tiger

Posting a reply on another thread led me to ask the question, am I crazy or do others feel the same?

Before those of you who know me say I'm crazy, Let me explain.

I had little more than a passing interest in the Great War but then I inherited a framed/glazed roll of honour. My "inheritance", if I can call it that, led me to start researching the names & build a website (Link below), Neither of which I had done before. All sounds relatively normal so far.

The thing that may signify my madness through is that I came to feel that the men chose me to bring their storys back to life. Lets face it, I had no more than a school boy interest in anything military, I didn't go looking for a project, I wasn't a history buff & I had no previous experience or knowledge of research.

I guess what I'm asking is; what drives you to endure the frustration, spend many late nights in front of a computer, drive/fly miles to look at a grave or a field, part with hard earned cash to various on line sites to view old pieces of paper, neglect the family and most importantly; are their any others who feel there is an unexplained or mysterious hand in their work?

Before the men in the white coats arrive, please tell me I'm not the only crazy one :wacko:

Andy

Hi Andy,

Well I don't think you are mad! I absolutely love researching, at the NA particularly and I still get so excited walking through the door, even after 5 or so years....

Is there a 'mysterious hand', I really don't know. But like you, I come from a completely non military background, and not much history education either. But in 1999, having always been an avid reader, a friend recommended me to read, 'Birdsong' (boo hiss!!) Obviously it is just a novel, but now it sparked my interest, and I just wanted to read more and facts! I must say that the most amazing chain of events, have taken place ever since... A few examples; a year after, quite by chance, I met Clive Harris and Paul Reed on a flight to Istanbul, because of them I visited the battlefields, for the first time in 2000. Finally joined up with the WFA, and then hence this forum, became a researcher for Chris in 2003 (I think?), and I am now going for a uni history degree place, this September. I've made some really good friends too, and just sort of feel I have found my niche, I just like WW1 researching!

Just joined in with the IFTC project, because I have been studying for A level retakes, and feel that I have not been researching as much as I should be! So I sort of feel that I am neglecting WW1... I hope to put something back in again, by helping out with the IFTC project, before I hope to start uni in September (fingers crossed).

I think what 'drives me', is that we just should not forget.

Alie.

Andy,

You're mad.

We all are.

But fortunately, there aren't enough men in white coats to deal with all of us, and since we are relatively harmless I think they'll leave us until they've dealt with the really mad ones, like Broomers.

:rolleyes:

Before the men in the white coats arrive, please tell me I'm not the only crazy one :wacko:

Absolutely barking, mate. The doorbell will be ringing any minute

Andy,

Turn your question on its head.

Had it not been for those,who made the ultimate sacrifice,you may not have been able to spend,frustrating and happy hours in front of your P.C.

It's a difficult question to answer.How would the Men,who fought the War,appreciate P.C's,Mobile Phones,etc? but those are their legacy.

George

My interest in WW1 stems from entirely genealogy and knocking down a brick wall hiding a family member gives me a lot of satisfaction, even if the vista revealed through the rubble is yet another brick wall! What makes it even more enjoyable, though, it getting the social context for the people I'm researching. A little social history creeps in around the edges and I think that's important. Otherwise there's a tendency to look back in time with 21st century eyes and if you do that you'll never come close to understanding what made them tick. I certainly feel drawn to do it and although other membrs of my immediate family are interested in the results they don't have the same compulsion about it I do.

Nurse! The screens! I'm having one of my turns again....

Keith

Andy,

I feel your comments pretty much match my thoughts. My research at times drive me mad!! I believe the mens information inscribed on the memorial I am researching were either poorly gathered or poorly inscribed (I have many incidences of this) and it always has me doubting what I believe. I am more interested in the men and their families than any other aspect of the war but enjoy reading a lot of diverse threads on the forum. The more I learn the more, I realise, the less I know.

I have spent money at times I shouldn't, i.e. after being made redundant Feb 2008 but at the time gave me something to get up and out for. Now I am back in work I almost resent it as I don't get the time to get to the places that are only open during work hours.

Keep the faith,

Garry

I am interested in several facets of the Great War. The causes, the politics and how it was run at the highest levels. I have an interest in the first year of the actual fighting, tactics, weapons, regiments involved. Unlike you, Andy, I have almost no interest in the individual troops, nor any particular regiment. If we are mad, it is a madness that takes on many different guises.